The cupboard as it was late last summer – filled and ready for the winter season!

It’s getting to be that time of year – CANNING!

When we built the canning pantry cupboard last year – I don’t think we realized how much we would use all of the goods stored from the garden.  The cupboard, built from some old shipping crates and pallets we had holds close to 250 quarts and pints of product.  It seemed like so much at the time – but that full pantry from last fall has a lot of empty shelves on it now!

So before we begin the new season of storing up some food – we spent some time and went through last year’s inventory to get ready for this season’s canning efforts.

STOCKING UP:

It’s a pretty quick study as to what we need to make more of :  Hot Pepper Mustard, Pasta Sauce, Picante Sauce  and Apple Butter!

Mary’s Hot Pepper Mustard Sauce – A family favorite!

Hot Pepper Mustard :  By far the most popular !!!  It’s Mary’s secret recipe and  I think everyone that comes over takes home a jar.  Mary already had orders for them and already pre-sold every one she made from her first batch this week.  The boys love it as a dip with pretzels, and it great to use on brats and hamburgers or any sandwich for that matter!  I used it last year to make tuna fish salad and replaced the mayonnaise portion with the mustard and it was a great combination.

Pasta Sauce : Another big hit.  We used close to 35 to 40 quarts last year – with about 5 remaining.  It’s a great way to make quick dinners a thousand different ways!

Our Salsa and Picante Sauce…we will have to learn to make some more mild this year for those not loving the HEAT!! 🙂

Picante Sauce – We went through a ton of this last year – and I think the only thing we will do is to create more pints that are medium and mild heat as opposed to so many that were hot.  We love  it hot – but sometime the guests like it a bit more mild 🙂

Apple Butter – We “found” two jars stashed behind some sauce…I vaguely remember hiding them among other jars to keep for myself 🙂 –  and then like a challenged squirrel –  forgetting that I hid them in the first place!  It’s so good on toast – definitely going to make more!

Tomato Juice – We canned 80 quarts last year – which we thought might have been too much , but we are down now to about 12.  I think we will do about the same again this year.  It’s great for our soups and chili – and we drink quite a bit of it as well.  One thing we want to do this year is to can more made with some pepper extract  – for a hot and spicy juice.

Still good on our inventory of banana and jalapeno hot pepper rings. They are great toppings for pizza and nachos!

Roasted Tomato and Peppers :  Mary trialed them last year and they turned out great – so I think we will add a few more pints this year.

I think we still have enough jalapeno, and banana pepper rings to last us for another year – so this year  instead of canning the rings, we will  freeze more whole and use them for appetizers.

So as the garden approaches ripening time, one thing is for sure: I know we will start to hear that gentle hum of the pressure canner or the roll of boiling water almost every evening in the kitchen as one or both of us cans something….it’s a sound we love to hear!

Jim and Mary

This post featured on The Barn Hop

30 thoughts on “Preparing for Canning Time – Stocking The Shelves

• October 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm

When you can mustard, are you growing your own seeds?? And grinding then making the mustard? This is what I would like to do, however needed to ask a few questions??? Thanks!!!

• July 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

Just featured this post on the Homestead Barn Hop! Fabulous idea for storing those canning jars!

• July 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Amy – Thank you so much for featuring us on the Homestead Barn Hop – what an honor! Thanks for all you do for everyone!

Jim and Mary

• July 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This is AWESOME!! I’m jealous. Did you make the shelf? Are they on a little slant so the jar slide forward? Thinking of having my brother-in-law to build me one.

• July 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm

We did – in fact we just did a post about building it yesterday! We built out of old pallets.

• July 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I’m so making this. Thank you!

• July 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Your canning pantry is beautiful. One year we put up 300 quarts of tomatoes. Half the kids don’t live at home anymore so we don’t need so much anymore. At the time we had and assembly line going, boys did the outside work and the girls the inside. I could not have done it all myself.

• July 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Love the canning pantry – do you have instructions or a how-to on making one similar? Even the overall dimensions would be a huge help. Thanks!

• July 17, 2012 at 9:03 am

Oh my, that cupboard is amazing. So nice.

• July 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I think I might have to talk my husband into creating something a little smaller than that because its only the two of us. But that cupboard is amazing!! Getting myself back into canning this year with homemade sauce!!

• July 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

Amazing cupboard. I must build something like that for my basement. I can’t quite fill it like that yet, but it is something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing

• July 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

WOW! That canning cupboard is amazing! Very well done! Your goods sound amazing too! Here from the Homestead Barn Hop.

• July 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

can you recommend a canner. i would love to learn

• July 16, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love the cupboard! Our garden isn’t doing so hot this year, I am hoping to at least get a few quarts out of it!

• July 16, 2012 at 12:25 am

So excited to have found your blog via the Link party on I Gotta Try That!! I am always looking for canning recipes. I hope one day to be canning a lot.

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    (blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com)

• July 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Thanks for linking up to “the oe Saturday homesteading trading post” blog hop this week. We are canning too at our place we just finished our tomatoes and who knows what’s next!

• July 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Oh noooo, I just re-read Preparing for Canning Time, and read that your Hot Mustard Sauce recipe is a SECRET!!!! Maybe you could share it, just this once???

• July 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Karen, I so wish I could give you the recipe, but I would be disowned in the family. We actually make it and sell it. Mums the word 🙂

• July 14, 2012 at 7:30 am

What an amazing stash! Love the cupboard too! Enjoy your bounty!

• July 15, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Daisy! We actually made the cupboard out of shipping crates and pallets! Check out our page Recycle/Repurpose. We love all of our canning goods…especially in the winter! Thanks for the compliments!

• July 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm

You encourage me! I’ve had to water (who hasn’t), but I will have enough to put up a few cans. I love-love-love your canning cupboard! I will be looking for a few of your recipes…

• July 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Do you just sell to local people? Just curious to see if you would ship some mustard sauce to me! 😉

• July 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

We typically sell to local people, but have shipped to family and friends across the country. We sell it for $4 per jar and you would just have the additional cost for shipping (USPS-Priority box). Let us know!

• July 16, 2012 at 7:43 am

I will email you now. 🙂 Thank you SO much!

• July 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I would like to buy some so could you email me and let me know how you want payment? Paypal ok? Thank you.

• July 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hi Bobbi
          We are updating our information for Paypal and will be able to accept payment in the next day or two. I will keep you updated!
          Thanks again!

Join Our Mailing List To Get Our Free Gardening Tips, Recipes and DIY Tips Delivered Straight To Your Inbox!

You have Successfully Subscribed!