Our Farmers Market Sign

When we were tearing down the old Cardington Barn – The largest of the big wooden sliding doors had taken quite a beating from years of rain, snow and hot sun. In fact most of the lower half of the door was destroyed from dry rot. Not wanting to give up on the old door – and knowing it still had some life – we cut off the lower rotted portion and saved back a 4′ x 8′ section of the upper door for a future “project to be determined”.

After completing the table project for the barn – we needed some type of vintage sign to spruce up the barn and place on the wall at the head of the table. Mary came up with the “Farmers Market” sign idea to keep in theme with the surroundings – and the old barn door remnant came to life.

The old barn door as it hung a few years back on the Cardington barn.   A lot of it had dry rotted – but we were able to save the upper half.

To hang the door on the wall – we found a piece of the old barn tracking and cut it in half. We then used old barn brackets to hold it in place and then slid the door up and into the track on each side of the wall.

The rest was fairly easy. We chose a font we liked, and then used a simple graphics program on the computer to lay out the sign in real size (34″ x 84″).  A quick trip to our local office store and a cheap $10 full size paper printout – and we were in business. (Just as an FYI – little copy centers are a great resource for inexpensive printouts to make stencils. Our local office store’s print shop can print a black & white print out up to 36″ wide and 8′ long – which is great when your trying to stencil a large sign! It’s much better than paying $30 to $60 for a set of huge individual stencil letters – not to mention trying to keep them straight when you put them up!)

Probably the hardest part in the whole process – hanging the paper cutout – of course that might have been made harder to do with the 1 foot height difference  between us! 🙂 We finally managed to get it all taped up!

Probably the hardest part of the sign making was taking the time to cut out the letters from the paper. This is once again where those kindergarten skills of cutting we learned way back when come into play! 🙂 Scissors can be used – but I actually find using an x-acto knife with a sharp blade much quicker.

Once we had cut out all of the letters from the template – it was as simple as taping up the stencil onto the door – and painting the cutout letters. We find that using a primer (we use Kilz2 latex) keeps the Vintage “old weathered” look. Primer tends to be very flat and will sink in much better than a paint – so it dries looking much more aged.

And just like that – our old decrepit barn door becomes our new farmers market sign!

Jim and Mary

This post shared on Little House In The Suburbs DIY and The Blog Hop, and Funky Junk Saturday Night Special

The sign up and hanging at the head of the table

24 thoughts on “New Life For An Old Barn Door

• December 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

wow I must have not really LOOKED at the sign as many times as I have pulled it up and looked at it. I read your posting again to see about how big you made your letters and then read how it was an old door. I am telling you the few times I really looked at it before to me it looked like a glass window with the lettering on it. I actually had to scroll up and really look at it again LOL
    Now I am really impressed ha ha.
    Great job once again.
    deana

• December 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thanks so much Deana. We had to find some way to preserve the door – and the sign seemed a perfect way.

• August 18, 2012 at 11:09 am

Saw you on Funky Junk link party. I’m your newest follower my dear. So impressed with that sign!!

• August 18, 2012 at 10:08 am

Great idea! Love barn doors!

• August 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Absolutely love it! What a job 🙂

• August 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Thank you Suzan 🙂 We were note sure how it would turn out when we started – but that is half the fun!

• August 11, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Your sign looks great. I found your site through your link on In The Old Road’s G+ party where it linked to your pasta sauce and I’ve been checking out your other posts. Then I noticed you were from Ohio, so I had to say Hi!

• August 10, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Wow, that’s fantastic! I’ve never tried making a huge stencil like that. What a great result you got; I would love to try it!
    Liz

• August 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Love the sign! It was great to see ya’ll this weekend!

• August 9, 2012 at 11:52 am

So glad I found you via SavvySouthernStyle! Absolutely love your barn and signs!! Wish I lived closed enough to purchase some old barn wood ~ oh the projects I could come up with.

• August 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I love your barn door turned sign. What a wonderful re-purpose. And you did a great job on it. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

• August 7, 2012 at 7:56 am

Love the new look of your blog….working on tweaking things at mine but it seems I am always working on someone else’s website….;) I love the sign Jim & Mary soon people will be paying you guys to tour your farm! 🙂

• August 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks so much for the compliments Karen!! We have been so busy with everything – I finally got a little time to freshen up the blog – still have a few more tweaks to add – but don’t we always! 🙂 We always enjoy reading your posts – keep up the great work over there at Lil’ Suburban too!

• August 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks so much! Yes the tweaking never ends…..I learned that when I started designing websites…I have had my own domain for a while I have just been procrastinating time to get er’ done ha ha LOL! 😉

• August 7, 2012 at 7:41 am