Your not seeing double…this is table # 2 :):)
One of the upgrades from table 1 – the 10′ benches that go down each side

No – you are not seeing double – and no this isn’t a repeat post.  By now, most of you who follow know that our dream of a completely self sufficient farm is helped along by our little pergola business that we do in our spare time.

So after posting about the old barn wood trestle table we built in time for the barn party – we had an offer to purchase the table that was in short – too good to pass up.  It was a way to bring a little more income to the farm and purchase the orchard trees and what we have wanted since day one – an old farm truck to use around the place. (what’s a farm without an ol’ farm truck??) So we did what any respectable Americans with a little entrepreneurial spirit do – we sold it and went about building another for our barn.  We still have a large stash of old barn rafters left from the barns we tore down, so wood wasnt a problem – just finding the time to build it…again!

A Sad Day…Table 1 loaded on the new “old” farm truck.

I won’t lie – it was actually tougher than I thought loading it up on our new “old” farm truck and delivering it to its new home.  And the first time I walked in the barn and saw the bare space where the table once stood – it was a really empty feeling.  However – as with all things – the second time you do something it really is easier.  You learn some tricks and can change some things you want to include the 2nd time around.  And we did just that.  We widened and lengthened the table – this one is a little over 12′ long and is now 46″ wide – which will allow for plenty more room for plates and dishes right down the middle.  We also opted to darken the top stain to more match the barn sign and look “older”.  We also added the 10′ benches and stained them to match.

Our Old World Garden Vintage Logo we designed..what do you think?

The result…We can now walk in our barn and smile again that our table is back! This actually has led us to think long and hard about expanding the old wood working to maybe a little Etsy shop and just design and build things we can with old barn and pallet wood in our spare time.  It’s not like we build pergolas in the winter.  We have had some requests for the pallet canning cabinets and a smaller table – so what the heck – maybe it’s a  way to build that farm even quicker.  We even came up with a name and a logo : “The Old World Garden Vintage Collection”.   Feel free to drop us your thoughts in the comment section below – we’d love to hear what you think of it.

In the mean time…no matter what…this table is staying put – my promise to Mary 🙂 🙂

Shared on Clever Chicks Blog Hop, The Barn Hop,  Frugally Sustainable, Transformation Thursdays Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesday, The Shabby Nest

28 thoughts on “Trestle Table II – Expanding The Farm A Little Quicker

• October 25, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Would like directions on building me a table like that

• December 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I’ve really enjoyed following your adventure and I’m slowly convincing my family to venture out into small farm living here in Tennessee. Keep moving forward and enjoy the ride. 🙂

• October 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week, I love this table. Now…going to find the post about the first one. 🙂

Hope you’ll join us again on the hop!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

• October 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hi, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm, and I’m visiting from the Clever Chicks blog hop.

How nicely that all worked out! So glad you got to make another one.

Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

• September 28, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Seriously…I am in love with your table. So awesome that you could build another one, I can imagine it was hard to let the first one go…Thanks for sharing!

• September 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Super! Good for you 🙂 Best wishes with your new business…love the name!

• September 1, 2012 at 7:03 am

That table is fabulous! The problem with most barn wood projects in my neck of the woods is the access to the barn wood. It looks like you just might have all you need on the farm!
    Susan
    Homeroad.net

• August 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Excellent logo for your new endeavors! I can’t wait to see and purchase plans for the canning cabinets and most anything else you come up with. I have started putting up a fence with old pallets that I get for free and it is coming along quite nicely if I say so myself. How may I send you photos?

Richard in Charlotte, NC.

• August 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Wow!! Love that table, awesome, rustic and eclectic all at the same time. However, that LOGO is SICK!!! TRULY AWESOMENESS!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!

• August 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I love the new logo!

• August 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thank you Candy! Hope all is well with the storm in Florida!

• August 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm

It must of been like selling a priceless work of art. That was one beautiful table but the new one is equally beautiful. Your spirit is priceless.

• August 31, 2012 at 5:01 am

Maryann – It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be to load it up and see it go! Thank you so much for the compliments – It is easy to have spirit when you truly love what you do.

• August 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thank you Andrea- and that is a great idea!!! I love the advice and help from all the fellow bloggers!

• September 23, 2012 at 1:12 am

I agree with Andrea, I was just searching your site for the plans for the canning cupboard. Are they already available?

• September 23, 2012 at 10:27 am

Jennifer – We will be opening up our Old World Garden Vintage Etsy shop this week on our blog site this coming Friday – and the canning cupboard plans will be our first available item :):) Thanks!!!

• August 28, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I think it is a great idea to have a shop on Etsy. You could even draw up the plans for the pallet canning cabinets and sell them.

• August 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

once again all i can say is i wish you lived closer.. have i got work for you!.. c

• August 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm

LOL…Hi Cecilia…We wished we lived closer too so we could see all of the wonderful animals at your farm and maybe sample some of the great food your always making!

• August 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I love the name and logo for your new shop. Great idea. The second table looks wonderful. I often have a difficult time letting some of the things I build go, but I keep reminding myself that is the business I’m in and I can always build another. Then I feel the same way about the next piece and it makes letting the other piece go much easier.

• August 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thank you Holly! It really is hard to let go – but at the same time really neat when someone wants something that you have made. Thank you for sharing!

Join Our Mailing List To Get Our Free Gardening Tips, Recipes and DIY Tips Delivered Straight To Your Inbox!

You have Successfully Subscribed!