the kids
The chickens are always a big hit with visitora

All in all – I would have to say that the most talked about of any venture we have going on at the farm are the chickens.  “The Coop” as we call it – is usually the first place visitors to the farm go to see.  Our coop has been home now for over the last year to our little flock (we started with nine).  With a few minutes of care each day – they have provided us with a little over 4 dozen eggs each week – and maybe even more importantly – an incredible supply of organic matter for our compost bins.

Our hens are not free loaders – they actually pay for themselves.  In a short time – we have developed a steady supply of farm fresh egg buyers who purchase our excess eggs, which is more than enough to pay for their feed and straw.

For those of you considering of raising your own eggs – here are some quick answers to the most frequent questions we get:

Hens are not loud.  We have only Hens  and for the most part they are as quiet as can be.  Now – they do usually give a little dance and a short squak to proudly tell us they laid an egg – but beyond that – they are pretty quiet and very tame.

Chickens are among the easiest of the "farm" animals to raise.
Chickens are among the easiest of the “farm” animals to raise.

You do not have to have a Rooster to have eggs – and although beautiful and protective of the flock – Roosters can be loud – something to consider if you live in the city 🙂

On average – our chickens lay an egg five to six days each week. We raise Golden Comets (brown eggs) and  Leghorns (white eggs), which are both very good egg producers.

Chickens need the basics – water, food, shelter and a little space to roam and scratch -and they will lay beautiful eggs

And yes – farm fresh eggs are different. They are larger, thicker and so much better to eat than store eggs!

We spend on average 5 minutes a day to fill up the feeder – re-supply the water, and collect the day’s eggs.  And once every month – we will take and extra 10 minutes to clean out the straw in the coop and add to the compost bins – that’s it!

As simple as it has been – we are actually going to revamp and remodel the coop over the winter months and expand the flock to about 18 for next year. We have plenty of room, and with the growing customer base for the eggs – we figure we might as well have more.   Besides – we still have a little left over barn wood – and we might as well as add a little matching shade pergola to the chicken coop for all they have done for us 🙂

-Jim and Mary

Yes – Fresh Eggs Taste Amazing!

Raising Chickens

Tagged on:

25 thoughts on “Chicken Talk – Raising Our Hens

• April 19, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I am just starting my flock. What can’t chickens eat? I have been feeding mine pellets, scratch, greens, carrots, and their eggshells. I would appreciate any advice!

• January 25, 2015 at 2:41 pm

I love your site we have four acres of land and have just bought three chicken coups its so interesting reading how to raise and look after the chickens thanks x

• October 11, 2014 at 8:56 am

Both the Golden Comets and Leghorns are know to lay prolifically for 2 years and then stop. I also raise chickens but raise the heritage breeds which do not lay nearly as many eggs per week but lay for many more years. What will you do with your chickens when they stop laying? I am such a softie I could never send mine away for slaughter when they stop laying.

• July 13, 2013 at 10:01 am

I have to agree – there’s nothing like home grown eggs. They taste so much better. I also love your photo of Amelia trying to fly. What a beautiful place you have!

• June 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm

That last picture needs a classic caption. 🙂
    I saw a picture of Golden Sebrights on Facebook the other day. Do you know anything about them? If so, would you recommend them? (I’ve done a bit of research on them, and I know they’re a Bantam breed, which is usually a pretty good breed. But I just wondered if you had a personal opinion to add.) Thanks!

• September 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

This is my favorite kind of talk! Love love love my chickens that being said I am fairly sure I have a rooster right now I am going to try to get some video of him crowing and post it to my blog so I can have my readers vote on this because I am not sure yet…..Love your coop! You guys rock!

• September 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by to share this! I would love to have you come again today, the link party just opened up! Each week I pick two favorites to reshare on the blog, pin, and follow on Pinterest. I would love to see more of ‘Your Great Ideas,’ and I know my readers would too. 🙂

• September 12, 2012 at 8:10 am

I love this and I would love to have a chicken coop but we live in the city and we just do not have enough room. Our friends in the neighborhood have honey bees so we have thought about having those cause we have one little spot it would work. Love this and I am jealous. I am sending this post to my husband since I keep talking about having hens.

• September 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

We have so much fun raising them! It is suprising how little space they take up – and as long as you stay with just hens – they are pretty quiet. Honey bees are something we really want to add to the mix next year – I need to learn more on them – but I know all of our new fruit trees and the garden would really benefit from them. Thanks for stopping by!

• September 11, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Getting and raising our 4 chickens has been so rewarding. They are a joy to own and watch, very tame and each has their very own personality. Great post !

• September 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m glad to see someone else raising hens too! We started this spring with 7 Rhode Island Reds but only have two npw. We added an older one, but she ran into a bobcat. We let them out during the day here as we are in the woods, but are keeping a closer watch on them. I would like to add a rooster and maybe two more hens. We did love the eggs the older one was laying so we are excited about these laying soon.

• September 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

Do you have any posts about how to get started doing this? Or a link maybe? 🙂

• September 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm

So much fun! I can’t wait to have our own in the near-ish future. Great post, thanks.

• September 11, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Thank Sarah – I hope you get to have them too – you will love them!

• September 10, 2012 at 5:16 am

We have really been enjoying our chickens this year. This is the first year we have had them, and they started laying eggs about a month ago. We have 8, and they make my kids happy. Now, we might need to find someone to buy some of our eggs…we are starting to get overrun 🙂

• September 11, 2012 at 7:39 pm

You will have no problem at all finding people that want them! A simple post on Facebook should get you some quick customers!

• September 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thank you Mariel – they actually are very easy to raise – and you learn a lot along the way. We will be sure to check out your link party!

• September 8, 2012 at 7:54 am

What a well written post. I’m looking forward to getting out of suburbia so that we can have hens. Enjoy!

• September 9, 2012 at 6:50 am

Thank you Daisy! They are wonderful to have and keep – I hope you can have your own hens soon!

Join Our Mailing List To Get Our Free Gardening Tips, Recipes and DIY Tips Delivered Straight To Your Inbox!

You have Successfully Subscribed!