Have you gotten into the habit of buying those ‘tubes’ of biscuits, rolls, and pizza crust at the grocery store? It is easy to fall into the routine of convenience – just twist open the tube separate the rolls and bake. It’s literally that easy.
However, have you ever thought about what that dough must be made of if so it can last on the refrigerator shelf for months? Just one look at the ingredients label and I become tongue-tied.
For as long as it takes you to drive to the store and then to bake them, it is much faster, not to mention healthier to make your own biscuits.
Its simple to do – and in just about 20 minutes you have fresh-baked biscuits on your table. Not to mention they melt in your mouth!
If you want to have the easy to pull apart version, make sure to fold the dough before you cut them out. There is no need to purchase an expensive biscuit cutter – a small mouth drinking glass works perfect! Remember – less is more!!! You can see the entire recipe below.
Easy Homemade Biscuit Recipe
2 1/4 cups flour
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 TBS sugar
1/3 cup shortening (or butter)
1 cup milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to medium size bowl.
3. Add shortening – cut in the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add half of the milk and mix until absorbed. Add the remaining milk and mix well until the dough forms a ball.
5. Place dough on a floured surface and knead 15-20 times. **Do not over knead
6. Pat out flat with the palm of your hand. Roll with a floured rolling-pin into an oval or rectangle, to about 1/4 inch thickness.
7. Fold dough in half and cut into biscuits.
8. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and brush with butter (optional)
Mary and Jim