Have you always wanted to make your own jam, but you are worried about the canning process? Or is the temperature just too hot to turn on the stove top? If either is the case, or if you just want a quick and easy way to make jam, this is the perfect recipe for you.
This week I have picked several cups of strawberries from our little patch placed where the original chicken coop was built. If you have never tasted a strawberry straight from a patch, you must put this on your bucket list. Yes, I know this seems too simple to have earned a place on the list, however, the taste from a fresh picked berry is nature’s simple way of rewarding us with pure sweetness.
As I gathered the berries in whatever container I could find to fill, I thought about all the different ways that have used our strawberries. We have posted several recipes: Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate, Strawberry Honey Jam, Strawberry Salsa, Strawberry Vanilla Jam, Strawberry Daiquiri Mix although I realized that I have never posted a jam recipe that required no cooking or canning. Freezer jam is the perfect way to avoid the preservatives found in store bought jam, and to use a relatively low amount of sugar as compared to traditional jam. And it only takes a few minutes to prepare!
Strawberry Freezer Jam
*makes approximately 5 half-pints (8 oz)
8 cups of mounded strawberries (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 1/2 tablespoons Ball Instant Pectin
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1. Crush strawberries to get about 4 cups of crushed fruit.
2. Add lemon juice and stir.
3. In a separate bowl add pectin to sugar and mix well
4. Add sugar mixture to strawberries – stirring for 3 minutes.
5. Add to freezer safe jars – let sit out uncovered for 30 minutes.
6. Refrigerate and use within two weeks or freeze for up to a year.
**If you would like to receive our Recipe Of The Week – be sure to sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column, “like” us on the Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. This post may contain affiliate links.
Mary and Jim
Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 8 cups of mounded strawberries about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Ball Instant Pectin
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- Crush strawberries to get about 4 cups of crushed fruit.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- In a separate bowl add pectin to sugar and mix well
- Add sugar mixture to strawberries - stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add to freezer safe jars - let sit out uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate and use within two weeks or freeze for up to a year.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms