As the temperatures reached close to 80 degrees yesterday, I have to admit, a cool milkshake sounded refreshing – minus all of the fattening calories of course! It has been a long and drawn out winter here in Ohio, and it was nice to see the local ice cream shops beginning to open their doors for the first crowds of the year. Summer must be around the corner – oh wait – it is only supposed to reach 50 degrees today! Gotta love Ohio weather! So, instead of the not-so-healthy milkshake – how about a refreshing smoothie filled with fresh fruit!
With fresh berries coming into season soon, it will be a perfect time to freeze those extras that you aren’t quite ready to use before they go bad. Just wash, core, cut and freeze. Whenever you are ready for that milkshake — take a few minutes to make this delicious smoothie instead. Not only is it refreshing – but a great healthy choice snack!
Berry Banana Smoothie Recipe
1 cup frozen berries
1 cup natural orange juice (or pomegranate juice)
1 individual size (6-8oz) yogurt
Ice – amount based on preference
First place berries in a blender. Then add orange juice, yogurt (I typically use vanilla or berry flavors), and a sliced banana. Pulse until well blended. Add ice as desired until desired consistency is reached.
Mary and Jim
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 cup natural orange juice (or pomegranate juice
- 1 individual size (6-8oz) yogurt
- 1 banana
- Ice - amount based on preference
- First place berries in a blender.
- Then add orange juice, yogurt (I typically use vanilla or berry flavors), and a sliced banana.
- Pulse until well blended.
- Add ice as desired until desired consistency is reached.
- Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms