Do you feel like you bring the same appetizer or side dish to every get-together? Not to mention having the worries of how to keep it warm and safely transport it to its final destination? This year, surprise everyone with a unique, simple and yet delicious appetizer!
We have all heard the saying, ‘Bacon makes everything better’. And now you can make bacon the star of the party! By adding a little sweetness, this traditional breakfast staple transitions into an irresistible snack that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy. The best part is that it only takes minutes to prepare and can be transported easily on your favorite serving platter. Why not give it a try? – After all – come January 1st, it is back to that healthy eating!
1 pound of thick cut bacon
1/2-1 cup of unpacked brown sugar
Optional: pepper, cayenne pepper, pure maple syrup
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. Line a rimmed cookie tray or baking pan with foil.
2. Place a wire cooking rack on the tray. * If you want to bake the whole pound of bacon, you will most likely need two trays.
3. Spread brown sugar onto a plate. **If you want to add any additional spices such as cayenne pepper, mix into brown sugar before spreading it on the plate.
4. Take a slice of bacon and lay it on the brown sugar mixture. Coat each side and place the piece of bacon on the wire rack. *Make sure the bacon slices don’t touch each other or they will fuse together.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the bacon. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until cooked to the desired crispness. You will want it nice and crisp – but not burnt – keep a close eye on it for the last 5 minutes. * If you want to add maple syrup spread a think coat on each slice after 15 minutes of baking. But please use only the ‘real’ maple syrup.
6. Remove from oven and place each piece of bacon onto parchment paper or a plate to cool. Do not place the bacon on paper towels as they will stick.
7. Cool until it reaches room temperature. Cut slices in half for easy handling by guests.
Mary and Jim