Crackers are one of those things that you just aren’t supposed to have when you are watching what you eat. Whether you are on a diet or trying to cut preservatives out of your life, this pantry staple is one that typically must be avoided.
That is until now. These crackers take only three ingredients to prepare, all of which you most likely have in your kitchen right now. They are simple to make – taking only minutes to prepare and fulfill that desire for a crunchy and cheesy snack. They also aren’t laden with preservatives that are necessary with store-bought crackers.
I take a few of these to work for that late afternoon snack to help me stay away from the breakroom that typically is filled with food temptations that aren’t so good for me. I love the cheesy flavor and the familiar crunch of a cracker and best of all, I know they are much healthier than the ones that I can buy.
Homemade Cheesy Crackers
1 cup whole-wheat flour
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into individual tablespoons
1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until a big ball of dough forms. Be patient – it can take a few minutes.
2. Roll the ball into a log about 1 ½” in diameter. Refrigerate for 30 minutes for easier cutting.
3. Slice the dough into ¼” slices and place on an ungreased baking sheet pan. Hint – you may have to rotate the log if the dough begins to flatten on the cutting board side.
4. Bake for 8 – 15 minutes or until golden brown. The thinner the cracker the less time it will take.
Store in an air tight container or freeze for later use.
**If you would like to receive our Recipe Of The Week – be sure to sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column, “like” us on the Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. This post may contain affiliate links.
Mary and Jim
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into individual tablespoons
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until a big ball of dough forms. Be patient - it can take a few minutes.
- Roll the ball into a log about 1 ½” in diameter. Refrigerate for 30 minutes for easier cutting.
- Slice the dough into ¼” slices and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 - 14 minutes or until golden brown. The thinner the cracker the less time it will take.
- Try to rotate which side you are cutting down on because the top of the log does start to flatten a little. It is like your very own homemade slice and bake!
- Poking each cracker with a fork is not necessary – it was purely done to achieve that ‘cracker’ look.
- Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms