The first time that I tasted corn casserole (aka corn pudding) at one of our large family gatherings, I knew I had to find the recipe.
To my surprise, almost every recipe that I was given or found included shredded cheese, cream cheese and/or sour cream. My heart sank…..
I really loved the taste of this classic side dish, but I wasn’t willing to add extra (and unnecessary) fat and calories to this dish, when I knew there had to be a better alternative.
By no means does this recipe fall in the ‘super healthy’ category, however, the nutritional value is much better than the classic version – and without sacrificing the taste!
At the bottom of the recipe, I have included how to make your own corn muffin mix. This time of the year it seems to be popular addition to many recipes.
Feel free to double, triple, or even quadruple the muffin mix recipe and store in air tight containers for use over the next couple of months to make your life easier.
Quick and Easy Corn Casserole Recipe
9 ounces of pre-made corn muffin mix
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn (not drained)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter
Preheat the oven to 350° F
1. In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients together and pour into a greased 8″x 8″ casserole dish.
2. Cook uncovered for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
**NOTE: Recipe can be doubled and placed in a 9 x 13 dish. Cooking time may need to be extended for 5-10 minutes.
Below are the instructions to make your own corn muffin mix
Homemade Corn Muffin Mix recipe:
2/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Mix ingredients together and store in air tight container if not using immediately.
Mary and Jim
- 9 ounces of pre-made corn muffin mix
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 15 ounce can creamed corn (not drained)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup melted butter
Homemade Corn Muffin Mix recipe
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients together and pour into a greased 8″x 8″ casserole dish.
- Cook uncovered for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe can be doubled and placed in a 9 x 13 dish. Cooking time may need to be extended for 5-10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g