Metal ceilings? Move over drywall, metal is making a statement. And not just on the roof! More and more people are turning to steel, aluminum, and galvanized metal panels to finish off the inside – as well as the outside of their home.

metal ceilings
The galvanized metal ceilings and white trim make for a clean and bright look

Not only is it a fresh, bold look combining the current trend of using natural and industrial elements, it can save big money on the budget!

For our Simple House Project at the farm, we chose galvanized metal panels for the majority of our interior ceilings. Of all the unique design elements we tried to bring into the project, this is now one of our  favorites.

We will both readily admit we were a bit nervous until the panels went up, but we couldn’t be happier with the results.

The combination of white shiplap siding, rough-sawn wood trim, and the metal ceilings blend well together. The sheen from the galvanized panels gently reflects the white shiplap to keep the room filled with natural light.

We liked the look so well we incorporated it into an accent wall, as well as our back porch ceiling.

The reality is that metal panels have come a long way. You can now find them in an almost endless variety of styles and colors. Adding to the allure, they are also fire resistant, durable, and can be extremely inexpensive when compared to the alternative of drywall.

To be sure, metal is not the perfect fit for everyone’s taste or home decor. However, the advantages are hard to dispute.

The Advantages Of Metal Ceilings and Walls

metal ceilings
The metal ceilings and white shiplap reflect the natural light coming in from the windows.

Cost – We were able to cover our entire cathedral ceiling, loft, bedroom, hallway and exterior porch for under $2000 in materials. That is a far cry from the $10,000 to $12,000 it would have been to drywall and paint the entire area. As an added bonus, we had the sheets cut to size. That means no seams to worry about at all. A huge advantage as opposed to working with drywall.

Complete Upon Installation – Whether choosing galvanized or painted panels, the finish is already applied. So when the panels go up – the ceilings or walls are completely finished There is no messy taping, mudding, sanding, painting or dust. That alone was enough of a benefit  convince us to try it!

metal ceilings
The metal accent wall for the staircase.

Maintenance Free Care – Most metal panels are rated anywhere from. 40 to 60 years of outside wear and tear. So obviously, their inside life will go far beyond that. Wiping them free of dust from time to time is about the only maintenance required – ever.

You can find out more on our entire Simple House Project here : The Simple House Project Page

Happy Simple Living! – Jim and Mary.  To receive our Recipes, DIY and Gardening articles each week, sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column above, “Like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. You can also check out our new book, Growing Simple, now available on Amazon.com.

8 thoughts on “The Bold Look And Low Cost Of Metal Ceilings And Walls

• September 20, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I love, love the metal on the ceiling. How are the acoustics in the rooms in which you used it?

• September 17, 2016 at 11:18 am

I love it!!!! I have wanted to do something like this on one of my kitchen walls. I just can’t seem to find the low profile corrugation you have used. Did you have to special order it?

• September 16, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Love this look in your new home. Perhaps it’s not suited to every house but I think its perfect for your new home. One downside may be poor cell reception inside. We had that problem in our last house that had a steel roof. But if you have a steel roof anyhow, using these panels won’t matter.

• September 15, 2016 at 10:49 am

I like it! Was considering something very similar for my workout area in the basement I’m designing to obtain the industrial look. At least inside you won’t have to worry about it rusting!

• September 16, 2016 at 9:15 am

I happen to love the look of your ceilings, in fact all of the house we have seen. I especially like that it is so much less expensive for you. My raised beds (in Louisiana, where we have termites in our ground) are made of the panels. Third year and not rusting yet. Got green panels and going back next year for more to build beds up around the house without having dirt next to foundation.
      I also admire you two for taking such informed chances all the time. You research and then just go for what you want, so great!

• September 15, 2016 at 9:18 am

I tend to agree with Lorri, but that’s the nature of stepping out of the norm, right? time will tell. I will say I have a ceiling that I’m wanting to try this effect on, so I’m sure there will be lots of feedback. thanks for the inspiration!

• September 15, 2016 at 8:40 am

A friend built a new huge attached three stall garage with a bar at the end closest to the entrance to the house. It is basically a party space that he can park in. He wainscotted the whole space with a similar corrugated galvanized metal product and used it on the vertical aspects of the bar as well and it looks fantastic. Greg’s comment that it looks cold is something that could be said for many industrial looks in rooms that are empty. I am thinking that furniture and cabinetry, light fixtures and art will warm up the space. Interesting choice and it will be fun to see the finished, furnished rooms.

• September 15, 2016 at 8:02 am

Good job you like it. I think personally that it looks too much like a cattle barn. Cold and ugly. Sorry. I normally like what you do but this isn’t one of those times.