If you enjoy soups, stews, slow cooked meats, steamed veggies, rice or beans, you won’t believe what an Instant Pot will do for you! The time and electricity that you will save makes the cost of the purchase worth it almost instantly.

We got our Instant Pot Duo last November and we can not stop raving about it.  It has literally changed our cooking habits and has saved us many hours in the kitchen over the last few months.

instant pot
The life changing Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

Individuals and families that want to cook more but don’t have the time or energy after a long day will greatly benefit from using an Instant Pot. You will make simple, healthy meals fast, without spending hours in the kitchen.

The Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that cooks food using a combination of heat and steam in a pressurized pot.

And no, this isn’t your Grandmother’s pressure cooker that was rumored to have blown up her kitchen. The Instant Pot is super easy to use and is pre-programmed to cook almost anything. All in a fraction of the time that it takes for traditional cooking.  We use ours daily and have cooked everything from a whole chickens, to multiple soups and casseroles. We even make hard boiled eggs and made a caramel cheesecake in it (picture below)!  We included additional links at the bottom of the article for a few great additional Instant Pot recipe cookbooks.

5 Reasons Why You Need The Instant Pot In Your Life

1. Huge Time Saver

instant pot
Moist and tender taco chicken breasts – ready in 20 minutes.

You can cook a whole chicken in just 30 minutes. Make long grain rice in 10 minutes. Prepare super tender shredded pork or beef in less than an hour. Make your own chicken stock in 30 minutes. Cook a butternut or spaghetti squash in 10 minutes. Transform dried black beans into the perfect side dish in 25 minutes.  Corn on the cob in 2 minutes – Are you in yet?

One of the best things we like about Instant Pot is that it has saved us so much time.  On average we have cut the time that we spend in the kitchen cooking in half with even more delicious and healthy meals. Now we are able to spend time doing other things rather spending all day in the kitchen.

Not only is there a huge time saver based on the cooking times, but you save a ton of time tending to your recipe during the cooking process. With this pot you “Fix It and Forget It”. No standing over top of a hot stove and constantly having to turn, stir or flip. Just put everything in the pot, hit the button and walk away to do whatever else needs done.

2. Much Healthier Food

Have you ever gotten home too late to prepare a healthy meal so you decide to order a pizza or run through the local drive through for a hamburger and fries? With the Instant Pot you can pull out a frozen chicken breast and a few vegetables and have it on the table within 30 minutes. No need to worry about thawing the meat, just throw it right in and a healthy meal awaits you.

Pressure cooking is a convenient and healthy way to quickly get food on the table while still preserving the nutrients in your food. A study published in The Journal of Food Science found that pressure cooked broccoli retained 90 percent of its vitamin C content. When boiled it has a 66 percent retention and steamed 78 percent.

The combination of steam and pressure can make even the toughest meats succulent and tender. And tenderness is a key sign that a food is easy for your body to digest.

In the case of the hard-to-break-down protein in legumes, the pressure cooker has been found to increase the digestibility by as much as 84 percent.

3. Replaces Multiple Kitchen Appliances and has a Delayed Cooking Timer.

instant pot
The multiple functions that the Instant Pot has available.

Clean out your cupboards! There is no longer a need for a rice cooker, crock pot, or a yogurt maker. This amazing pot can do it all!

We use the Instant Pot Duo, seven-in-one multi-cooker that works as an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, warmer, and sauté pan all in one.

Ever have dinner made and all of sudden you get the dreaded call that your spouse is running late and stuck in traffic? No worries, there is a keep warm setting that automatically kicks on when your meal has finished cooking.  There will be a warm dinner on the table, even an hour after dinner has been cooked.

But that’s not the best news!  Have you ever left early in the morning and wanted to make something in your crock pot that required a 6 hour cook time?  Knowing that you were going to be gone for the typical 8 hour work day plus drive time, it wasn’t feasible to make that meal. It is now! There is a programmable feature on the Instant Pot that allows you to start the cook time whenever you choose. Want oatmeal ready for you when you wake up? Yes, you can set the delayed start function and wake up with breakfast hot and ready!

4. Easy Clean Up

Instant Pot
Zuppa soup that took 30 minutes and tastes better than Olive Garden’s!

I have never mind cooking. It is the clean up afterwards that I always dread. But the Instant Pot saves time even after dinner.

There is no longer a need to wash several pots and pans. With the multi functions on the Instant Pot, you can create your entire meal with just one dish. The stainless steel insert is a breeze to clean up and has been found to be much safer than Teflon coated cookware.

5. Energy Efficient

One big advantage of a pressure cooker is that it cooks food much quicker, and as a result is more energy efficient than other methods including stove top, oven, and the use of a slow-cooker.

instant pot
Caramel cheesecake made in the Instant Pot

The less time that it takes to prepare your food, the less energy that is being drained from your traditional appliances. No more heating up the kitchen in the middle of summer!

Now that we’ve experienced the convenience of a pressure cooker and understand how safe and easy it is, the Instant Pot has become my choice of meal preparation from breakfast through dinner, and even desserts.  I am shocked at the amount of time and energy that I have saved all because of this one trendy kitchen gadget.

Here are links as well to two great instant pot cook books that have tons of great recipes as well!

Instant Pot Ultimate CookBook – 2nd Edition

The Instant Pot® Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Easy Recipes for Fast & Healthy Meals

Enjoy!

Mary and Jim

To receive our articles each week, sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column above, “Like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. You can also check out our book, Growing Simple, available on Amazon.com. This post may contain affiliate links.

17 thoughts on “A Kitchen Miracle! 5 Great Reasons To Own An Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

• February 9, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I hope you’ll be sharing some of your favorite recipes with us! I fairly new to this appliance, but so far I like it.

• February 9, 2017 at 10:13 am

I have a different brand of electric pressure cooker. While it is effective and fast in cooking time it takes no less than 15 mins. to get to pressure so that increases overall cook time. Do you experience the same with this model? The first thing I noticed when I checked it out on Amazon is that is wasn’t Teflon coated like mine. That’s a BIG sell for me. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• February 9, 2017 at 10:32 am

It takes about 6 minutes to reach High Pressure with my GoWise. The timer doesn’t begin ticking down until the pressure is where it is suppose to be. The pot I have is Stainless Steel and I have not had a problem cleaning it. Personally, I am not a fan of teflon, but I appreciate that there are a lot of people that swear they will never use anything else.

• February 9, 2017 at 11:11 am

Thank you for the feedback Rebecca! What is GoWise?

• February 9, 2017 at 12:24 pm

It is the brand of Electric Pressure Cooker I have. Also have a GoWise Air Fryer.

• February 8, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I have 4 pressure cookers. A 6 qt, 8 qt, 12 qt [ this one I hope to use for canning] and a 4 qt
    microwave pressure cooker. Use them all the time. You should try meatloaf in yours. OMG!!

• February 9, 2017 at 10:34 am

I agree!! The meatloaf is SO MOIST!!

• February 8, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I’ve had the Instant Pot for almost three years – and it has deservedly received a favored place on my counter—even short of space as I am! I got an optional glass lid (great for table-use for hot taco meat or buffet use !) It is absolutely the best appliance that I have ever had. You can use the ‘saute’ feature to brown meat in the pot, EASILY GRASP THE POT TOP to lift it up and pour off unneeded fat – then add other ingredients to finish the stew or soup. You can even make yogurt. I think Instant Pot is the MOST RELIABLE OF ALL THE BRANDS…. so many Asian users, you know it has to be dependable or it wouldn’t continue to sell to this market. There is another one that is advertised on TV – but it doesn’t hold a candle to this one. The important thing is that each ‘button’ is programmed so, if you want soup, the meat comes out tender and the VEGGIES ARE PROPERLY COOKED! Try this with another brand and you’ll get tender meat and veggie mush. Considering that the price is not too much more than some coffee pots, these days, it is a bargain! I got an additional stainless insert, and an additional ring seal – just in case. Highly recommended!!! The recipe book that is included is good – as are the instructions. Multiple other recipe books are available…but you’ll find that once you use the pot, you’ll be able to ‘translate’ your own recipes to this cooking method – and save time for other things while they cook perfectly!

• February 8, 2017 at 10:36 am

Hey fellow converts! Lol! I’ve always been terrified of stove top pressure cookers. And, being a person who is easily distracted and can be a tad absent-minded, trying to cook with a stovetop model just didn’t seem to be the safest of ideas. But I stumbled over an article about the Instant Pot on the Sweethome site and a couple of days later the Kitchen site had a glowing article about them. Both sites praised the Instant Pot as being the best. And, basically idiot proof. Sold! We bought one in November.

Now, I’m here to tell you that if I never used it for anything but making hard boiled eggs, it would STILL be worth every penny I paid for it. But the beauty of it is, is there’s little that you can’t use it for! I think that the thing that surprised us the most was this method of cooking retains so much more of the flavor of the foods as compared to other methods. There’s a higher percentage of nutrient retention than with other cooking methods which I find to be very important. So much of our food has a reduced nutritional profile as compared to food grown a hundred years ago. You want to retain as many of the nutrients as possible. The Instant Pot does that for you.

Ease of use, reduced cooking time, energy savings, idiot proof, stainless steel insert, broad range of uses, delicious food, easy clean up….. what’s not to love? I’m planning on getting the larger eight quart as well!

• February 8, 2017 at 9:56 am

OK, that does it!! You got me upset now. Don’t go attacking my excuse to go have pizza. That is just WRONG. LOL Actually, we are going tonight for some.
    We do have one of these and haven’t used it as much as we should have. I agree, they are good. I will be better at using it. Thanks for the reminder.

• February 8, 2017 at 10:02 am

Nothing wrong with Pizza Papa J. I joined the Facebook blog for Electric Pressure cooker owners and got inspired to use ours more. You Tube has amazing recipes as well!! Enjoy your Pizza tonight. Lol.

• February 9, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Pizza sounds great! Count me in!
      – cj.

• February 8, 2017 at 9:24 am

I have one and love it!!!! Pretty sure the bowl insert is NOT aluminum but is really stainless steel

• February 8, 2017 at 10:28 am

Yes, your right Shelly. The error has been corrected.

• February 8, 2017 at 8:43 am

Where can i get one?

• February 8, 2017 at 8:50 am

Dee -you can click on the red link in the article that says Instant Pot, and it will take you right to one on Amazon. Hope that helps!

• February 8, 2017 at 9:38 am

Dee- Google Electric Pressure Cookers and you can see all of the brands of these type of cookers. Huge price range too! I have a GoWise Electric Pressure Cooker and absolutely LOVE it. Huge time saver. Our favorite is the Shrimp Scampi. Done in 10 minutes. We also love our GoWise Air Fryer. Makes THE BEST french fries out of russet potatoes with about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil!! Both very easy to clean up!!

Join Our Mailing List To Get Our Free Gardening Tips, Recipes and DIY Tips Delivered Straight To Your Inbox!

You have Successfully Subscribed!