We are still searching for the answers……

What seems like just a few short months ago, I shared with you the story and background on how I lost all of my hair. If you are new follower or missed the original story, you can read it here: Life Throws Us An Unexpected Curveball

searching for the answers
October 2017 – The first month I was completely bald.

Since publishing that article 6 months ago, we have received so many words of encouragement, thoughts and prayers from all of you and we can’t express enough how much we appreciate your support and kindness.

We haven’t talked about it publicly on the website since that time. There is too much gardening, DIY projects and recipes to cover for that!

However, over the past couple of months many of you have reached out to check in on me to see how things were going. Because we truly believe that you are an extension of our family, we thought now would be a good time to give you an update and how we are still searching for the answers.

First, let’s take a minute to go back to October 2017. At that time I was diagnosed with a sudden onset, autoimmune disorder called Alopecia Totalis. That meant that I lost nearly all of the hair on my scalp.

This condition has no definite cause and no cure. However, if you read the story of how we got to this point, we definitely could find some likely triggers to the onset of the disorder.

The good news is that I have a non-scarring form of alopecia, which means that regrowth is likely!

still searching for the answers
Jim and I in Roanoke, Virginia shortly after I lost all of my hair.

The Dermatologist that I was seeing wanted to do an experimental treatment with me. He had heard from other physicians that a popular oral medication used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis  helps you grow your hair back. Because a newly introduced medication seemed to tip off my alopecia, this wasn’t a route that I was willing to take.

After receiving hundreds of emails and comments from our readers who generously shared their own experiences with not only alopecia, but other autoimmune disorders, I decided to do some more research on potential causes and treatment options.

I went online to see what I could discover. However, the internet can be a dangerous place when you are searching for medical answers. From personal experience stories to web-MD, I found conflicting information on potential causes and treatment options.

During each article I read a common theme kept showing up. I quickly learned that food can be a trigger to a lot of medical conditions. Even foods that we perceive as healthy for us (like tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc..) can be toxic to some people. See Dr. Grundy’s Book – The Plant Paradox

I have always been a fairly healthy eater. I enjoy tons of garden vegetables and eat little red meat. Yes, I do love a good pizza or chicken wings now and then, but I hardly ever over indulge myself on junk foods.

searching for the answers
My hair started to come back in the front, but if you look closely in the back, you can see a bald spot.

I just couldn’t imagine that the food I was eating would be able to cause that much harm to my own body.

The only thing that I could do was eliminate foods that have the high potential to cause an inflammatory response in the body. I basically began to eat mostly vegetables (minus those in the nightshade family) and limited sources of grass-fed, or wild-caught meat.

My hair began to grow back, but in patches. I had a huge ‘target’ on the back of my head where the center patch grew in, but the surrounding perimeter was still without hair.

I also had several patches on the crown of my head that refused to grow hair, while the sides and top part of my head sprouted new growth.

My hair was coming back curly and with more gray than I remember. But I didn’t mind, at least it was hair!

I would stick to the nutritional limitations for a couple of weeks, and then it happened….. Family functions, sporting events, just one cheat meal, etc…

And of course, just one piece of pizza reintroduced gluten, dairy and nightshades all in the same bite. Sure enough, I would wake up the next day with a rash on my face.

searching for the answers
From the front, it looks like my hair was growing back fine. That is why there are no pictures of the back or top of my head!

The rash first started on each side of my mouth and down to my chin. This rash I was familiar with before I lost my hair.

Looking back at it now, it was the first sign that something in my body was different.

About 1 year prior to my hair falling out, I noticed that I would get a light rash on my chin. It would itch a little and it really wasn’t that noticeable to anyone else.

My skin has always been sensitive so I first chalked it up to poison something that I surely got while working around the farm. This rash kept coming and going and sometimes even needed a small dose of Prednisone to relieve it.

But now, each time I let something slip back into my diet, the rash got brighter and started to spread to my cheeks and eventually spread to my eyebrow and hairlines.

Not only was the rash getting worse, I noticed that the hair that began to grow back was beginning to fall out again.

I was frustrated!!!! It was now February and not only did I begin to lose my hair again, but my face was speckled with a bright red rash most days of the week.

This is when the sadness hit me. I was okay with having a rash OR losing my hair. But both seemed like way too much for me!

I have never been one to wear a lot of makeup. But I found myself spending more time trying to cover up the rash with concealer than I had ever spent getting ready for an evening out. It just wasn’t ‘me’.

Jim would always tell me how beautiful I was and how he loved my patchy wavy hair as it began to grow. He gave me lots of hugs, encouragement, and he always stood proudly by my side when we were out in public.

He never batted an eye when someone would look strangely our way or when I told him someone said I looked like my head had been pecked by a chicken. Really, that did happen!!!

We would smile and eventually laugh through it all, but I knew something had to be done.

Still searching for the answers…..

I wanted to find someone to help me find the root of the problem and not just treat a condition. I looked through our insurance providers and we didn’t have a Functional Medicine Physician approved in our network.

So I went the next best route – allergy and immunology testing!

update
Dermatographia – Writing on the skin causing a histamine/hive reaction.

I finally got into an Allergy clinic with hopes that skin testing for certain food items would lead me to know what was causing this awful rash on my face.

I arrived at the office in such a good mood, knowing that answers could be on the horizon. Little did I know, there would be another bump in the road.

As I stated before, I have always had very sensitive skin. I get poison ivy just by looking at it and if I get a mosquito bite, it turns bright red and swells up to the diameter of a softball.

One review of my medical history form and a simple test, and the Physician knew that I couldn’t have skin allergy testing completed on me.

He took the top of a rubber stylus and ‘wrote’ on my back. Five minutes later he returned and he could visually see what he wrote on my skin – HIVES. A condition known as dermatographia (writing on the skin).

This meant that my skin would react to whatever possible allergen was introduced. Not because of a true allergy, but because my skin would automatically release histamines to try to protect itself from being touched.

UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

He didn’t think the rash that was on my face was a true allergy to anything, especially not food. But when I explained and reexplained my history and research, along with shameless pleading, I convinced him to do some blood allergy testing.

Since each blood allergy test is food specific, I was asked which ones I thought could be causing the reaction. I listed the most common inflammatory foods, along with foods that I eat consistently in hopes to narrow down the culprit.

AND THE SURPRISING UPDATE…….

searching for the answers
Our farm fresh eggs that I will no longer be able to enjoy.

After a week of waiting, I finally got the call. All nuts, dairy, gluten and nightshade family foods came out negative!

The one test that came out as positive for an allergy – EGGS! Both egg whites alone and combined egg white and yolks.

The one food item that I didn’t eliminate from my diet because I only ate the eggs from our own pasture raised chickens. In fact, I probably ate more eggs than I had before because I had limited my dietary intake to so little foods.

So, now the next step in the road to recovery begins. I am not sure it is the last step, but it is definitely a step in the right direction!

It has only been a few days since we discovered the news, so I am adjusting to a new set of dietary restrictions. However, I am sooooooo happy that I can have my tomatoes, peppers and potatoes back in my diet!

And I am also excited that I was ‘forced’ to try foods that I would never have considered through this process. Who knew coconut aminos would become my soy sauce replacement. And I never thought I would eat, and like so many types of mushrooms!

I would like to thank all my friends, family (including my internet family from around the world) for all of your love, support and kindness during this crazy bump in the road that we call life. You have made the process easier to handle and on the hard days, your kind words continue to lift my spirits up.

I look forward to the next update post when I can hopefully show you the newest hair style or tell you more funny stories on the things people say!

Keep Smiling!

Mary and Jim

To receive our 3 Home, Garden, Recipe and Simple Life articles each week, sign up below for our free email list. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram. This article may contain affiliate links.

Tagged on:

94 thoughts on “Six Months Later – Still Searching For The Answers

• April 24, 2018 at 9:36 pm

We just read an article about Coturinix Quail and that people with egg allergies can eat quail eggs – more protein, B1, Vit. A , C. Keep trusting the Lord to help you find answers and to experience His grace daily in the trials you have.

• April 24, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Thank you Harold. That is a good place to start when I am craving eggs!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:56 am

Two of my sons have this same allergy which can be aggrivated by being in the sun. I love your gardening information.Thank you.

• April 24, 2018 at 11:05 am

Oh, I can give up eggs, but not the sun – lol. Thank you for following our website!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:34 am

We all find strength within ourselves with the help and guidance of the good people like you. Thank you for your message.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:10 am

I have never heard of arsenic causing hair loss. Makes total sense — guess we will be getting the water tested. Thanks for the tip and best of luck with your journey as well.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:01 am

Thank you Barbara, I think they are kind of cute too 🙂 . Best of luck to your sibling!

• April 23, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Thank you for sharing your challenges. Wishing you a winner in your battle!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:46 am

• April 23, 2018 at 9:14 am

You are so beautiful! and I’ so sorry to hear that you have to take this journey! Like you I lost my half my hair to autoimmune disease, started out with crohns disease 10 years ago and 8 years ago this happened: It started out as a rash around my mouth at Christmas time, which traveled head to toe and back again. All of this occurred when I moved to be closer to my job, started dating my husband and preparing to let my baby go to college – talk about stress! I was diagnosed with Psoriasis, almost a year after my wedding, but when I got married, there wasn’t much left to my beautiful thick hair and I didn’t feel all that beautiful when I got married because of that, even though my husband told me daily how beautiful I was (like your love tells you!)! When it came back in is was curly (almost perm like curly) and gray – I had quit dying my hair because hair color burned when I rinsed it out. Unfortunately, the curls only lasted about 3-6 months and then disappeared … I loved the curls. since the appearance of my psoriasis – it’s been an ongoing battle – there are days when it doesn’t itch and days when I look like a crazy woman, because I can’t get any relief! Currently, there’s stress in my life – a lot infact – so my psoriasis is out of control once again. I’ve found when I can relax … really relax, which seems to only happen when I’m doing what I really love and being at the beach (sadly it’s an hour away from home!). I’m glad to hear that you’ve found some answers and are on the road to recovery! You’ll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you heal.

• April 24, 2018 at 11:07 am

Thank you Lori for sharing your story. I wish you the best as well. If only we could be at the beach or in my case, the garden full time!

• April 23, 2018 at 7:21 am

First of all, you look dang good without hair! I think your smile keeps you from noticing. So happy for you that you may be on the way to solutions. My son, who is sensitive to many things, is now able to eat eggs again. We used an allergy panel from Immunolab in Florida and got good information.
    Keeping you in prayer.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:46 am

Thank you Daisy! I definitely am considering further food intolerance testing to help gain additional information.

• April 23, 2018 at 6:47 am

Please consider seeing a functional medicine doctor. I know they cost,, and it is frustrating that we are paying for insurance that wont cover it, but I think its worth it in the long run. Conventional doctors specialize in parts of the body but not the whole – autoimmunity is a systemic issue, In the functional medicine world, the recent rise in autoimmunity issues is caused by gut permeability. Once particles of food get through your gut lining, your body responds by attacking not only the food, but any molecular structure in your tissues that resembles that food. Its called cross reactivity, aka molecular mimicry. People respond differently depending on genetics. What is the leading cause of gut permeability in recent times? Glyphosate. I can’t help but remember your article a couple years ago about the GMO farm right behind you where they spray the entire field with glyphosate. Have you considered getting tested for exposure? The functional med books I’ve read seem to hold this lab in high regard, perhaps contact them and see if they offer the test: https://www.doctorsdata.com/. If not perhaps they could refer another lab. Best of luck and I hope you nail down the root cause of a ll this.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:45 am

Thank you for thinking of this. I have done a lot of research on a leaky gut and definitely think that was the trigger when I took the medicine that first spurred on the alopecia. But I never thought of glyphosate exposure since I eat primarily organic and non-GMO foods. I will look further into that! Thanks again!

• April 23, 2018 at 1:51 am

Hi, Mary, I was losing my hair, along with dealing with worsening rashes, and finally discovered I am sensitive to dairy and yeast, fermented foods, especially. No bread but I have no trouble with wheat and corn in limited amounts. I started taking biotin in a fairly high dose daily, and my hair is back to normal. Worth trying. Alopecia can be hereditary as well, and if your hair grows back and then you get stressed for any reason, it could leave again. Good on you for your positive attitude and willingness to share your story. Love your blog.

• April 24, 2018 at 11:10 am

I have been taking Biotin since September at the recommendation of the dermatologist. The food sensitivities can be so confusing as in one place they recommend eating a fermented food at least once a day and yet you can be sensitive to it. So crazy! I am glad your situation has improved! Thank you for following our blog.

• April 22, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Hair doesn’t matter. You are a beautiful person no matter what! I lost my hair during chemo for breast cancer. And not just on my head. I lost hair all over my body!! I had no hair anywhere!! I also lost toe nails and finger nails. But you know what? 12 years later I’m still here!! I thank God for sparing me, for giving me these 12 more years, and every new day is a blessing. My hair is much thinner than it was, but I love my ball caps!!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:43 am

You are a true survivor!!! Thank you for sharing your story with me. Continued prayers to you as well. And yes, I love my ball caps as well!!!

• April 22, 2018 at 10:06 pm

as a substitute for eggs in baking I use: flaxseed eggs (recipe on package) or avacado or aquafaba (the liquid from beans) you don’t even notice any difference. hope this helps. thanks for sharing and being so transparent about things. give that husband a hug – what a great testimony of support for you. God bless.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:42 am

Thank you for the egg substitution tips! I am sure they will come in handy as we continue this journey. And yes, Jim is absolutely wonderful and has handled this all with love and grace each and every minute of the day. I am a very luck woman!

• April 22, 2018 at 10:04 pm

You might find you need to avoid not only eggs but related products such as handling the chickens, feathers, feather products (feather filled comforters, pillows and mattresses).
    Praying for you both. You are beautiful inside and out!❤️

• April 24, 2018 at 10:40 am

Thank you for thinking of that… I may be able to use it to get out of chicken duty in the middle of winter 😉

• April 22, 2018 at 8:29 pm

It sure is funny how a young woman can look so good without hair! We hope for your continued improvement and definitive answers.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:39 am

That made me smile and maybe blush… Thank you for the kind words.

• April 22, 2018 at 4:53 pm

I have been thinking about you lately and am glad for your update. I was diagnosed with the autoimmune disease of Rheumatoid Arthritis, diagnosed by a naturopathic doctor. Currently, I am trying severe dietary limitations to attempt to ease the inflammation and learn what foods trigger it. I feel for you and know the ups and downs of dealing with an autoimmune disorder. Best to you as you search for answers and fixes.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:39 am

I’m sorry to hear about your RA but am glad that you have found a naturopathic doctor who will help you find the root of the problem and not just ‘treat’ it. Best to you as well on your journey!

• April 22, 2018 at 4:26 pm

I will continue to pray for you and your family that hopefully you will find some concrete answers.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:37 am

Thank you so much, we appreciate it!

• April 22, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Wow! Losing your hair is traumatic! I know from experience. Back in 2011 I was prescribed amoxicillin for a sinus infection. I noticed a rash on my legs, went to the ER because I suspected the medication and was given another antibiotic, clindamycin. A couple of days later, my whole body was covered with a rash and I was too weak to even walk to the bathroom. My kids took me back to the ER and I was in such rough shape that they put me into an ambulance and shipped me up to Mass General. By this time, I was covered in huge blisters that felt like they were filled with acid! Long story short, I ended up in the burn unit and they were finally able to get me through it. Three months or so after my ordeal, my hair started falling out and I had to resort to wearing a wig. It eventually grew back in, gray and extremely fine, like cobwebs and still, I continue to shed. Of course, I also have Hashimoto’s so that doesn’t help! Diet does play a huge role in autoimmune diseases and I’ve eliminated gluten, soy, most dairy and packaged foods; however, I still eat eggs. Maybe, I should eliminate them for a while and see how it goes?……….

• April 24, 2018 at 10:37 am

You have been through a lot!!! It is crazy how our bodies react to both food and medicine. Autoimmune disorders are like crazy little puzzles pieces to try to figure out. Best of luck to you!

• April 22, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Sorry to hear you are still struggling and searching for answers. Have you heard of Dr. Fuhrman or Dr Greger, those are whole food plant based diet advocates with great results. As homesteaders we often ignore the whole food plant based movement because we so like our backyard chickens and grass-fed meat. But the evidence seems to be louder then our preferences are. Check them out, it might just be what you are looking for. All the best to you, looking forward to read an positive update very soon!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:35 am

Thank you for the recommendations!

• April 22, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Mary, You are heroic. I don’t know how I would react to losing my hair. Not nearly as well as you, I suspect. You radiate an inner strength and beauty, and are handling this with an enviable grace and charm. God bless you.

• April 22, 2018 at 3:41 pm

If you haven’t already, you might want to research Iodine. Not normal iodine in the medicine cabinet. Ingested type of Iodine (there are 3 types of Iodine to choose from). And Aloe Vera. And ACV (apple cider vinegar). They can all change the way your body handles food and life in general. Like Hormone testing, Iodine is one of those test that can come back normal and still be completely wrong. With Iodine you want to take Magnesium, B12, Selenium and Vit C, which can help your body as well. A good quality Liposomal Vit C in high doses alone can create a huge change (you can make your own rather than pay the high prices for it). Aloe Vera and ACV are harmless to take on any diet and can be game changers for your health.

But Iodine is the one that can change your hair loss to hair growth and calm any digestion/allergy issues. Most people are too low in Iodine and don’t know it. There are specialists that can do testing by mail and there are several books on Iodine at the libraries or ordering online (you can learn a lot from reading all the reviews on Iodine at AMZ before even considering the product). Sometimes it’s not a matter of stopping what you are eating, but providing the nutrients and minerals your body is still craving and not getting. You have to be careful with iodine if you are HYPER thyroid vs HYPO thyroid (HYPO really needs iodine). Keep in mind that chickens often get iodine in their diets, so if you are HYPER thyroid you could be getting it thru their eggs and it is not allergies but too much iodine that is causing the problem.. Do you own research to know which way you are. Again it’s a test at doctors offices that often is wrong. You know your own body so read the symptoms and let it be your guide.

You might also look into Diatomaceous Earth. Full of Silica that will make a bald person grow back their hair. Full of minerals and will remove parasites and toxins from your body. Only buy FOOD GRADE D.E. from a health food store or farmers Co-Op. It has to say “food grade” on the label. Otherwise it the kind that is used for water filters and has poison in it. Inexpensive if you buy it where they sell chicken feed (vs health food store). Drink lots of water when using it. You may go into a “die-off” detox stage and feel worse instead of better for a week. It is clearing out the toxins and parasites in your body. Then your nails and hair will start growing fast and your skin will clear up and glow.

As with any advice, do lots of research on your own first. If you have more questions, contact me privately thru email.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:33 am

Thank you for the detailed recommendations. I have not considered iodine but will definitely look into it. I had various thyroid testing done via blood tests and everything came out in the normal range. We use DE at the farm, never knew it could be ingested. Thanks for the tips and advice.

• April 22, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Hi Mary,

Over the years I’ve so enjoyed reading your posts and blogs and think of you two as a “family” of sorts.

I was not up-to-date on your hair loss though and so after reading this wanted to see if you’ve researched The NAET allergy treatment method. We have used this in our family and friends with spectacular results and I would recommend you check it out. One of our extended family even became a NAET practitioner after training in California with the founder of this method.

My daughter’s fiancée has had alopecia and its gone since having the treatments! Just wanted to share this with you and God be with you in your journey with this condition!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:28 am

I will definitely look into that – thank you so much for the recommendation!

• April 22, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Mary,
    God, love of your family, your humility and grace will see you through. Our family join in prayers for your total recovery. Much blessings.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:27 am

Thank you so much!

• April 22, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Now you will need to be careful about vaccinations. A few contain small amounts of egg protein. Praying you are on the right path to recovery!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:27 am

It is amazing how many egg products are in various things. Thank you for the prayers

• April 22, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Do not despair! My grandson and daughter-in-law are allergic to eggs. My grandson has ‘grown out’ of this allergy and can now eat eggs. My daughter-in-law is still allergic to chicken eggs but she can eat duck eggs with no reaction. My motto is, it could be worse.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:26 am

I am very fortunate and yes, it always can be worse. So glad your grandson outgrew the allergy – that’s terrific!

• April 22, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Oh, God Bless you both Mary & Jim, it has been a battle for you. Keep plugging away, I have used ground flaxseed as a replacement for eggs in baked goods, maybe do some research on this? Just a thought….take care and good luck! Hugs!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:25 am

Thanks Peggy for the tip!

• April 22, 2018 at 11:49 am

I to have auto immune problems. We haven’t found the trigger(s) but my whole face turns red, itches , burns and sometimes pels. I have fibromialgia, and idiopathic periferalneuropathy. I keep hoping we find the trigger.
    My mother was alergic to egg whites. I pray eggs are your answer.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:25 am

Autoimmune disorders can be so confusing and difficult to find the trigger for. Good luck to you!!!

• April 22, 2018 at 11:40 am

No matter what you look like on the exterior, I believe you have a beautiful heart. People can be so rude. God speed your recovery.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:25 am

Thank you Mary!

• April 22, 2018 at 11:31 am

xoxo

Sending you Jim the best wishes!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:24 am

Thank you so much! We both appreciate it.

• April 22, 2018 at 11:10 am

Also sending you praise for sharing your story. I also want to thank you for all the recipes you post. I’ve been watching (through your emails) all the activities and “going ons” round your farm. Love it!
    Pauline
    PS: I also live in Ohio,but in the city.
    PSS: GO REDS!!!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:24 am

Thank you Pauline – and yes, Go Reds!!!! Hopefully the new manager will help!

• April 22, 2018 at 11:06 am

My grandson had two brain tumors removed & it left him with no muscle control on one side of his face. People are so rude! They stare & even feel free to ask personal questions. My daughter made him a t-shirt that reads “Don’t worry – it’s not catching.”

• April 24, 2018 at 10:23 am

People do amaze me, that’s for sure. I am just very thankful for the kind and thoughtful people that counteract rude actions. I am truly blessed.

• April 22, 2018 at 10:44 am

I’m so thankful for your story as I too have lost most of my hair. I did finally figure it must be autoimmune and yes, eggs are the biggest offenders. A new book is out which addresses the big six offenders and the smaller six. It is called Cooking for Hormone Balance byMagdalena .Wszelaki. I think you are going to help a lot of women with your story. Thank you for being corgeous enough to tell it!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:22 am

Thank you for the book recommendation. I am always looking for good information. Best of luck to you as well!!

• April 22, 2018 at 10:31 am

Keeping you in my thoughts! I hope you contiue to improve and learn.ty for sharing. I look forward to all your newsletters and articles. You and Jim are amazing people!!!!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:15 am

Thank you Deanna!

• April 22, 2018 at 10:25 am

You’re beautiful Mary, inside & out. Thanks for sharing your story,I’m sure it will help others. Good luck on your health jouney. Prayers…

• April 24, 2018 at 10:12 am

Thank you B.J.!!!

• April 22, 2018 at 10:07 am

Good for you! I have just recently went to a naturalpathic doctor and done a food sensitivities test! I have an itchy scaly red face that comes and goes….I am hoping it dairy and not eggs. I will add you to our prayers that you have finally found your problem. I agree with you one is manageable two things not fun at all. Next time maybe try some grape seed extract two drops one ounce of water and it takes the itchy away! Best yet it’s not and drug and I paid 13$ for mine. I have followed you for several years and I always enjoy reading your articles.
    Dallas

• April 24, 2018 at 10:12 am

Thank you for the tip Dallas. I will have to give that a try! If you don’t mind me asking did you do a blood test for food sensitivities? I’ve been considering doing one as well to rule anything else out.

• April 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Yes it was a blood test done through my naturalpathic doctor. The doctor at a medical clinic would only give me drugs for acne. The side effects listed were to much of a risk for me to be comfortable with them so I turned to the naturalpath. I am using grape seed extract and water on my face once a day. It is too soon to tell about my skin but it isn’t near as itchy anyone.

• April 22, 2018 at 10:06 am

I have found the book “Autoimmune: The Cause and The Cure” to be very helpful. Author: Annesse Brockley

• April 24, 2018 at 10:10 am

Thank you Susan. I will have to check it out.

• April 22, 2018 at 10:02 am

It amazes me what people say!!!
    You look like me but I have had chemo. It caused a facial rash too.
    My husband said that arsnic poisoning can cause the hair loss too. Did you have your water tested?

• April 22, 2018 at 9:23 am

Sending good wishes your way, Mary! You have faced an incredible challenge with grace and humor. I’m praying that your recovery will not hit any more bumps in the road and you’ll be good as new in no time!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:08 am

Thank you Joann. We are always faced with bumps in the road….some are just smoother than others 🙂

• April 22, 2018 at 9:23 am

Thank you for sharing Your story Mary. I believe that sharing makes it more real and helps you put it into perspective. It also may help someone else. Thank s again. Prayers for continued recovery.
    Sarah Sowers.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:07 am

Thank you Sarah. We have always been up front in our journey at OWG and we didn’t want this to be any different.

• April 22, 2018 at 9:19 am

HUGGS — just a simple reply—HUGGS

• April 24, 2018 at 10:07 am

Thanks John…huggs are wonderful!!!

• April 22, 2018 at 9:12 am

That’s an incredible story Mary! Who knew the culprit would be eggs! Praying that this answer will bring relief to your body!!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:06 am

Thank you so much!

• April 22, 2018 at 9:09 am

I too have an autoimmune disease and I am allergic to Apples! I have MS overlap syndrome, which means I have symptoms from 4 autoimmune diseases which is a lot to wrap your head around as well! Hang in there! Autoimmune diseases are the hardest to figure out to get to a management course! I’m glad you are getting answers!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:06 am

Best of luck to you Becky…. I have never known anyone to be allergic to apples. Crazy stuff isn’t it???

• April 22, 2018 at 9:07 am

My goodness what an ordeal yo have gone through. Hopefully you have gotten some answers that will help you immensely. GOD BLESS!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:05 am

Thank you so much Charlotte!

• April 22, 2018 at 9:06 am

What an wild ride you have had. I hope that this new discovery is the one that solves the mystery. As you mentioned the internet can be a dangerous place. Every week it seems there is some new superfood to try or bad food to avoid. I would imagine that it is extremely difficult to sort it all out. What cannot, it seems, be argued is that what we eat seems to play a much bigger role in how we feel than people have given it credit. My niece for a while went from vegetarian to vegan and so she eliminated eggs and dairy. Her mom and I discovered there are a lot of substitutes out there and more and more recipes are posted with alternative ingredients to work around food allergies. It could be a new adventure finding new recipes. I imagine that it is not only the fried egg for breakfast that is the culprit but also the egg in the baked goods as well. Good luck to you as you move forward. Thank you for sharing your story.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:05 am

Thanks Lorri. My brother is also vegan so at least I have a reliable resource to go for egg substitutions. And unfortunately, eggs are in many more foods than we realize including baked goods, mayo, some pizza crusts, etc.. I have some learning to do!

• April 22, 2018 at 9:03 am

I’m glad you got an answer!! But eggs? I didnt know anyone could actually be allergic to eggs.

I think I’d cry.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:03 am

Most egg allergies occur in children. I am just a little late in the game 🙂 It is difficult not eating our farm fresh eggs anymore but hopefully it will be well worth it!

• April 22, 2018 at 9:02 am

I agree with your husband, you are beautiful! Hope all goes well for you in the future.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:02 am

Thank you Sharon!

• April 22, 2018 at 8:59 am

As an adjunct to your efforts please seek out a well trained massage therapist who can show you a technique called “skin rolling.” I have never worked with a severe condition like yours but have seen remarkable hair regrowth and “thickening” after applying this technique to the scalp. Work in an organized manner to ensure that you stimulate the whole of the scalp. Jim will be able to carry on with the treatment once he sees how it is done. Good luck.

• April 24, 2018 at 10:02 am

Thank you for the tip! I will never turn down a scalp massage!!!!

• April 22, 2018 at 8:55 am

Hi Mary,
    I have a sibling with mixed connective tissue disease and I agree- the internet is a scary place. Sounds like you’ve received some answers to your puzzling issues. Good luck with your health issues and btw- your sons are some good looking lads!

• April 24, 2018 at 10:48 am

• April 22, 2018 at 8:49 am

You look beautiful, hair, no hair it does not matter. You are alive ! Good luck, hope eating no eggs does the trick !

• April 24, 2018 at 9:59 am

Thank you Pat I am very fortunate, that is for sure. And yes, I am hoping that by eliminating eggs my body will be able to heal itself.

• April 22, 2018 at 8:49 am

Sending love and positive vibes! You will win this battle!

• April 24, 2018 at 9:58 am