If you are looking for a great Valentine’s Day dessert recipe to impress your loved one, you have to make this Homemade Chocolate Cake!
Rich, delicious, and moist cake topped with a creamy frosting. You can make it as a double or triple stacked cake. However you can also keep it simple and make it in a 9 x 13 pan for a single layer cake.
Regardless of how you decide form your cake, you are going to fall in love with the taste and texture.
Although the cake has great chocolate flavor, it isn’t overbearing. And the texture is light, fluffy, and moist.
There is nothing worse than putting your fork through a piece of cake and it crumbles all over the plate. You definitely don’t have to worry about that with this special Valentine’s Day cake!
Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
Hot water or hot coffee
Chocolate Cake FROSTING Ingredients:
Start by preheating your oven and grease and flour your cake pan(s). To make this chocolate cake you can use three 8 inch round cake pans, two 9 inch round cake pans, or a single 9 x 13 baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl add sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then whisk until well incorporated.
Now it is time to add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to the mixture. Once everything is in the bowl beat on medium speed using a hand mixer or the paddle attachment of a stand mixer for 2 minutes.
Next slowly add the hot water or coffee and slowly mix it in the chocolate cake batter. It will take a few minutes for the liquid to be absorbed into the other ingredients so be patient. It will eventually mix together and look like traditional, thin cake batter.
Then evenly pour the batter into the greased and prepared pans.
Place the pans in the preheated oven and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This will take approximately 30-35 minutes for the round cake pans and 35-40 minutes for a 9 x 13 pan.
Once the chocolate cake is baked through, remove it from the oven and let it sit and rest in the pan for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the cake from the pans and finish cooling on wire racks.
Make Your Icing
While you let the cake cool completely make your icing. In a medium mixing bowl add melted butter and stir in the cocoa.
Then slowly add half of the powdered sugar and the milk and mix until most of the powdered sugar is incorporated. Now continue to add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until it is at a frosting consistency.
Now stir in the vanilla. If the frosting is too thick, add a little milk to the mixture. On the contrary, if it is too thin, add a few teaspoons of powdered sugar.
Once the chocolate cake is completely cooled, ice the cake as desired.
Mary and Jim
As always, feel free to email us at email@example.com with comments, questions, or to simply say hello! You can sign up for our free email list in the subscribe now box in the middle of this article. Follow us on Facebook here : OWG Facebook. This article may contain affiliate links.
Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe
Moist and delicious homemade Chocolate Cake that can be made and stacked with round cake pans or a single layer cake. Chocolate frosting instructions included.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water or hot coffee
FROSTING Ingredients for 2 cups of frosting
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans, or two – 9 inch round cake pans, or a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl – mix with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water or hot coffee. Mix into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (approximately 30-35 minutes for two or three cake pans, 35-40 minutes for 9 x 13 baking pan)
- Cool 10 minutes in pans. Then remove cakes from pans to cool on wire racks. Cool completely before icing.
- In a mixing bowl add melted butter and stir in cocoa. Slowly add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and then the milk. Add the remaining powdered sugar – beat to spreading consistency, adding a small amount of milk if needed. Stir in the vanilla. Ice cake as desired.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g