As the picnics, parties, and family get-togethers begin this summer, its always good to add a new recipe to the collection. I don’t know about you, but it seems like each year, I either bring or get asked to bring the same recipe over and over. I am sure I could make my pasta salad recipe in my sleep, but sometimes its nice to have something different. This cucumber, onion and cayenne recipe is great for putting together quickly – literally taking just 5 minutes to prepare the night before, and it’s ready to go the next day.
My Dad and I have been making this recipe for years. I actually call him every spring just to make sure that I have the ingredients ‘just right’. I even called him this week – not for tradition’s sake, but because I honestly need the reminder for the exact amount required for each ingredient, since I am more of a ‘throw it together’ and ‘see how it tastes’ type of cook. Dad doesn’t know it , but I replace the mayonnaise for greek yogurt to make it a little healthier. And yes, he still loves it!!!
Cucumber, Onion and Cayenne Salad
1 LARGE cucumber
1 LARGE sweet onion
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 single serving container of greek yogurt (original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of mayonnaise)
8 oz sour cream
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1. Peel and slice your cucumber – I usually cut the cucumber lengthwise and end up with ‘half-moon’ slices for easy eating.
2. Slice onion into slivers
3. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, yogurt, sour cream and cayenne pepper.
4. Pour over cucumber and onion mixture.
5. Refrigerate for a few hours for the flavors to meld (I prefer to make it the night before when time allows)
***If you taste test this recipes right after you make it and you think you need to add more cayenne pepper — be aware!!! The cayenne pepper will get stronger as the flavors blend. There have been many times that I have added extra – only to find out the next day that only a brave few could tolerate the heat.
Mary and Jim
Cucumber, Onion, and Cayenne Salad
- 1 LARGE cucumber
- 1 LARGE sweet onion
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 single serving container of greek yogurt original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- Peel and slice your cucumber - I usually cut the cucumber lengthwise and end up with 'half-moon' slices for easy eating.
- Slice onion into slivers
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, yogurt, sour cream and cayenne pepper.
- Pour over cucumber and onion mixture.
- Refrigerate for a few hours for the flavors to meld (I prefer to make it the night before when time allows)