As summer progresses, peaches begin to appear everywhere. Those first few peaches rarely make it into any recipe because everyone grabs one or two and eats them right away. So this year, I jumped ahead of the game and reserved a few to make Fresh Peach Crisp. I wanted to make a healthier version of the traditional recipe – by substituting whole wheat flour and a sugar substitute. And if you would like to make the recipe vegan friendly – substitute earth balance butter.
The best part of this recipe in my opinion – you don’t have to peel the fresh peaches. This saves an incredible amount of time, and a few scalding splashes of boiling water! Just wash, cut, and dice with the skins intact. This also adds a great nutritional value to the dessert. And since it is healthier, you won’t feel as guilty to top it off with vanilla ice cream! Another important benefit of this recipe is that it only takes 10 minutes to prepare prior to baking -key for us right not so we aren’t spending a lot of extra time in the kitchen during gardening/harvest season. So before the peaches disappear off the counter, grab a few to make a fast, easy, and healthy dessert!!!
9 peaches, diced, not peeled
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup sugar substitute
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1 tablespoon sections (1 stick)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
1. Dice peaches – no need to peel. Place in the bottom of 9×13 dish.
2. In a medium bowl, add sugar substitute, flour and butter sliced into small sections.
3. With a pastry knife or fork, cut butter into the dry mixture until it resembles a crumble mixture.
4. Sprinkle on top of fruit.
**You can add another 1/2 stick of butter on top of the mixture to make a more moist cobbler if you prefer.
5. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Mary and Jim
Peach Crisp - No Peeling Required
- 9 peaches diced, not peeled
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup butter cut into 1 tablespoon sections (1 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Dice peaches - no need to peel. Place in the bottom of 9x13 dish.
- In a medium bowl, add sugar substitute, flour and butter sliced into small sections.
- With a pastry knife or fork, cut butter into the dry mixture until it resembles a crumble mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of fruit.
- **You can add another 1/2 stick of butter on top of the mixture to make a more moist cobbler if you prefer.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms