We picked our first head of cabbage this week – and that means one thing…..it’s time to make coleslaw!!!! I made a quick trip around the garden to gather a few other veggies and then it was time to head to the kitchen.
Although I used the cabbage within a few hours of picking it, you can store cabbage in your crisper drawer of your refrigerator for a few weeks, if properly stored.
In order to decrease the respiration and metabolic rate of a head of cabbage and prevent spoilage, it should be stored in an air tight container or plastic wrap to limit exposure to oxygen after being picked.
Cabbage is high in vitamin C and any bruising or damage to the leaves will decrease it’s health benefit. Also, since the vitamin C content starts to quickly decrease once the cabbage has been cut, you should use the remainder of the head within a couple of days.
Both Jim and I prefer the lighter versions of coleslaw that eliminate mayonnaise. Most vinegar based recipes require you to boil your dressing before adding it to the cabbage mixture. This sweet and tangy dressing is made by just mixing the ingredients – no boiling required. Thank goodness, because in this heat wave, the last thing I want to do is stand over my stove waiting for something to boil!
Vinegar Based Coleslaw Recipe
1 medium head of cabbage
1 medium sweet onion
1 medium green bell pepper
2 large carrots
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
*additional salt and black pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS:Using a food processor makes cutting the ingredients a breeze.
1. Thinly slice cabbage, onion, green pepper, and carrots and mix in a medium serving bowl. **I completed this step within a couple of minutes by using my food processor.
2. In a separate bowl mix together dressing ingredients. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
3. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture – toss and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Toss again before serving.
**This coleslaw only gets better the longer that it sits as it gives the dressing time to meld into the cabbage mixture.
Serves 8-10 people.
Mary and Jim
**If you would like to receive our Recipe Of The Week each Friday – be sure to sign up to follow the blog via email in the right had column, “like” us on the Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.
Vinegar Based Coleslaw
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar, or sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- *additional salt and black pepper to taste
- Thinly slice cabbage, onion, green pepper, and carrots and mix in a medium serving bowl. **I completed this step within a couple of minutes by using my food processor.
- In a separate bowl mix together dressing ingredients. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture - toss and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Toss again before serving.
This coleslaw only gets better the longer that it sits as it gives the dressing time to meld into the cabbage mixture.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g