I have never found a coney sauce recipe that I absolutely loved, until now! Most of the recipes that I tried in the past were too sweet for my taste. But after several trials of combining various ingredients together, I have found the perfect sauce to put on top of not only our hot dogs, but over french fries as well.
As the weather begins to cool down, we tend to spend more time at the fire pit with family and friends. This includes having several Weiner roasts and chili cook-off meals over the fire. We just throw the coney sauce in a crock-pot to keep warm and we have a thick and hearty meal. Of course, I prefer to top my coney dog off with a few diced onions, candied jalapenos and of course, shredded sharp cheddar cheese!
And next time you go to make fresh cut french fries, add the coney sauce and cheese on top for an extra special treat that your family will love!
Coney Sauce Recipe
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Brown ground beef in a skillet, adding onions halfway through.
2. Add minced garlic when meat is almost done browning.
3. Add remaining ingredients; stir well to combine.
4. Simmer over low heat 15 minutes.
Serve over hot dogs or french fries, topping with shredded sharp cheddar cheese if desired.
Mary and Jim
To receive our Recipes, DIY and Gardening articles each week, sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column above, “Like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. You can also check out our book, Growing Simple, available on Amazon.com.
Coney Sauce Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Brown ground beef in a skillet, adding onions halfway through.
- Add minced garlic when meat is almost done browning.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir well to combine.
- Simmer over low heat 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot dogs or french fries, topping with shredded sharp cheddar cheese if desired.