Making your own chicken and rice burrito bowl is super easy to do and makes for a quick and healthy meal. In fact, if you use an electric pressure cooker, like the Instant Pot, it can be made in a single pot within minutes.
Yes, I have fallen in love, and can not live without the Instant Pot. I was lucky enough to have received one over the holiday season and I have made everything from hard-boiled eggs, unstuffed cabbage soup, a whole roasted chicken and even a caramel cheesecake, all in one-third of the time that it would traditionally take on the stove or in the oven.
Although I made this chicken and rice burrito bowl recipe in the Instant Pot, you can adapt this recipe to be able to make it on the stove in a large stockpot. Be sure to cook your chicken all the way through before adding the liquid and rice. Then cook it for the amount of time recommended on your rice package, remembering to let stand to thicken.
However you decide to make it, it is a great go-to recipe for a quick and healthy dinner and becomes a terrific lunch the next day if there are any leftovers.
Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowl
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic minced or put through a garlic press
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
1 cup long grain white rice uncooked
1 cup salsa
2 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Set electric pressure cooker to the saute setting add olive oil.
2. Once olive oil is hot add the onion and cook until soft, about two minutes.
3. Add chili powder and salt. Stir to combine.
4. Add the chicken, black beans, rice, and salsa. Stir.
5. Pour chicken broth over the mixture. Stir.
6. Lock the lid in place in the sealed position. Set on high pressure for 10 minutes.
7. Once the cook time completes, quickly release the pressure.
8. Open the lid and stir.
Optional: Serve with chopped cilantro and grated Cheddar cheese.
Mary and Jim
To receive our Recipes, DIY and Gardening articles each week, sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column above, “Like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. You can also check out our new book, Growing Simple, now available on Amazon.com. This post may contain affiliate links.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Set electric pressure cooker to the saute setting add olive oil.
- Once olive oil is hot add the onion and cook until soft, about two minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add chili powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken, black beans, rice, and salsa. Stir.
- Pour chicken broth over the mixture. Stir
- Lock the lid in place. Set the pressure cooker to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the cook time completes, quickly release the pressure.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Top with cilanto and cheddar cheese if desired
- Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms