Have you ever looked at the ingredient list on the can of Sloppy Joes sauce?
If you haven’t, the most likely first ingredient will be High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). Don’t stop reading there, you may also find regular corn syrup, white sugar, or brown sugar listed as well.
I grew up eating homemade sloppy joes, so when I first tried sloppy joes made with a store-bought sauce at a friend’s house, I was shocked at how sweet the mixture tasted. My friend had always made sloppy joes this way, never even trying to make her own sauce.
She challenged me to making sloppy joes taste just like hers without the HFCS. So after adapting our standard recipe to be a little sweeter the taste test was on! Needless to say, she was convinced that my recipe was made with canned sauce.
She now makes large batches of homemade sloppy joes and freezes them for a quick meal whenever needed. Mission accomplished!
Looking for other homemade recipes? Check out our Homemade Coney Sauce Recipe
Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
1 lb ground beef
1 cup ketchup
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
1 tbsp green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp celery seeds
1⁄4 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1. Brown ground beef in a skillet, then drain off any fat.
2. Add remaining ingredients to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mary and Jim
If you would like to receive our DIY, Gardening and Recipe articles each week, sign up via email at the very bottom of the post You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to receive all of our latest tips and articles. This article may contain affiliate links.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ⁄2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 ⁄4 tsp celery seeds
- 1 ⁄4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Brown ground beef in a skillet, then drain off any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g