Baked salmon is one of the healthiest meals that you can eat. However, we get a lot of questions on the best and most flavorful way to make this very popular fish.
We have prepared salmon many different ways including: pan frying, poaching, grilling and baking. And we agree that baked salmon produces the best texture and flavor when compared to the rest.
However, there are some tips to make sure that you have the best baked salmon possible.
Tips For Baking Salmon
1. The Glaze – The glaze that you use makes all the difference in the flavor of the baked salmon.
We have found that using a pastry brush to add the basic combination of Dijon mustard and freshly minced garlic provides an excellent glaze that stands up to the heat of the oven and infuses delicious flavor in each bite.
2. Heat It Up – To make your salmon fillets light and flaky you must bake them at a high temperature.
This recipe calls for the oven temperature to be set at 450° F. Baking at lower temperatures results in an over-done exterior and an interior that is barely cooked through.
3. Add Lemons/Lemon Juice – Place lemon slices on top of the salmon.
As the cooking process begins, the liquid from the lemon breaks down and penetrates the salmon allowing for a moist fillet with an additional depth of unexpected flavor.
4. Use Parchment Paper – Not only does parchment paper allow the salmon to be easily removed from the baking sheet, it also helps tremendously in the clean up process!
Dijon Garlic Baked Salmon Recipe
1 ½ lb salmon fillet, wild-caught preferred
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 whole lemon
Preheat the oven to 450° F
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a small bowl add garlic, Dijon, salt, pepper, oil and lemon juice
3. Divide salmon into 4 equal portions and place skin side down on the lined baking sheet
4. Brush the top and sides of each salmon piece with sauce
5. Cut lemon into thin slices and place on top of salmon
6. Bake at 450°F for 12-15 min or until cooked through and becomes flaky.
Mary and Jim
To receive our 3 Home, Garden, Recipe and Simple Life articles each week, sign up below for our free email list. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram. This article may contain affiliate links.
Dijon Garlic Salmon Recipe
- 1 ½ lb salmon fillet wild-caught preferred
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 whole lemon
Preheat the oven to 450° F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
In a small bowl add garlic, Dijon, salt, pepper, oil and lemon juice
Divide salmon into 4 equal portions and place skin side down on the lined baking sheet
Brush the top and sides of each salmon piece with sauce
Cut lemon into thin slices and place on top of salmon
Bake at 450°F for 12-15 min or until cooked through and becomes flaky.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms