Perhaps it’s time for a few simple self-imposed cell phone rules. Rules that might help lead us to a better, safer, and more fulfilling life in 2019.

First off, let’s be clear about one thing. Cell phones truly are an amazing device.

And, they are extremely important.

I mean, it is a bit crazy to think that we hold a computer in the palm of our hand that has more power and technology than what was on-board the space ships that sent astronauts to the moon.

The problem is that cell phones have sadly become so much a part of our life – that sometimes we forget to actually live and talk to the people right in front of us.

cell phone rules
The cell phone is an amazing device. We just need to all be aware more when and how we use it.

What brought this all to light? Well, for me it was a grocery store visit last week with Mary.

In one single visit to our local grocery store, we were treated to the following cell phone comedy show.

#1 In the parking lot, we watched a person who was texting while walking run into a grocery cart. Right in the middle of the parking lot!

I have to admit, it was somewhat funny to watch him actually get mad at the cart for being there.

#2 While inside, we got to hear a wonderfully loud conversation of a woman shopping in the spice aisle.

We are not totally sure, but we believe it was probably with her husband. It was, of course via speakerphone as she headed down the aisle on her cell phone.

We gathered from the conversation that she did not want to go to her in-laws for dinner that night. And, to boot, that she was pretty sure she couldn’t handle them for Christmas dinner either.

All the while, everyone in the store stared at her. And yet, on that phone – she was totally unaware.

cell phone crash
We have all witnessed
at some point someone walking into something while on a cell phone. Or perhaps done it ourselves. 🙂

#3 As we checked out, the customer in front of us happened to be on their cell phone talking.

The cashier was trying to get her attention to ask her about one of her items – but to no avail. And the line of folks waiting to check out grew longer.

And what happened? Well, she finally did get her attention, only to be told “I can’t talk, I am on the phone!”

Yes, that really did all happen on one trip!

So with that in mind, we thought we would share 3 cell phone rules that have really worked well for us.

And, if you have any to pass along, we would love to hear them in the comments section at the end,

Here is to living better with cell phones in 2019!

3 Cell Phone Rules To Live By For 2019

#1 No Phones At Meals

This is one of the cell phone rules that we put in for ourselves a long time ago. And it is wonderful. When we eat – the phones go away.

We sometimes wonder why some people go out to restaurants any more.

We were laughing a few months back at a local deli when 6 young professionals came in to have lunch.

cell phone rules
You really can enjoy a meal and conversation with those around you without a cell phone.

For the entire duration, they sat looking into their phones. It was rare that their heads even came up other than to eat.

And I am pretty sure not more than five words were said between them during the entire lunch.

For us, there is simply nothing better than great food and great conversation with each other and those who might be with us.

So when we eat, the cell phones sleep.

#2 The Never Take It To Bed And On Silent Rule

This one is absolutely fantastic when it comes to living better.

Nothing in the world will make you more energetic, more productive, and more healthy than a good night’s sleep.

Above and beyond all of the studies about dangers of staring at a tiny lit-up screen in the dark – nothing will disrupt your sleep habits more than taking a cell phone to bed. Especially with the sounds or vibrations up to keep waking you up!

cell phone rules
Cell phones in bed are a bad habit for sleep patterns

A simple solution…

We put our cell phones on a dresser about 15 steps away from the bed every night.

With all the sounds turned off – except for the rings of family members that we set to special alerts. And of course, the morning alarm that rings through as well.

That, by the way, is another benefit of putting them away from the bed. You are forced to get up and walk over to turn it off.

It certainly makes hitting the snooze button again and again much tougher!

#3 The Glove Box When Driving Rule

Of all of the cell phone rules, this is the one that really can save your life.

The rule is this – anytime you get in the car to drive, put your cell phone away. And that means away from where you can easily get to it.

The glove box is a perfect solution.

cell phone rules
The glove box rule is a great way not to be tempted to text while driving.

To be completely honest, I finally decided a few months back that I simply couldn’t trust myself.

I have always known it was absolutely insane to use a cell phone while driving.

But then it would happen. I might be at a red light and take a quick glance at the phone when I heard a beep. Or perhaps a quick glance on a”wide-open” road.

And then one day, while on the way to work, I had a car come within about an inch of my driver’s side door.

I looked over, and of course, there was the person on their phone. drifting right towards me without a clue. They felt awful. They waved sorry. And of course, instantly put their phone down.

And I realized that could have just as easily been me doing the same thing.

cell phone rules
One of the best cell phone rules ever – the glove box rule.

That is when the self-imposed glove-box rule was created. There simply is too much temptation when you hear the sounds of a cell phone to take a quick look.

Perhaps it’s that text from a friend you have been waiting for. Or one of the kids might be sick. Or this, or that. But simply put, none of them are worth the one second it takes to lose your life. Or the life of someone else.

The rule has actually been really great for me. It is amazing how much thinking and relaxing you can do when all you do is drive!

Here is to all of us living better with our cell phones in 2019! For more on simple living – check out our article on 4 Simple Life Changing Goals.

Happy Simple Living! – Jim and Mary

3 Simple Cell Phone Rules To Live By For A Better And Safer Life In 2019

9 thoughts on “3 Simple Cell Phone Rules To Live By For A Better And Safer Life In 2019

• December 25, 2018 at 6:35 pm

I have a simple flip phone & it stays on silent /vibrate all of the time or I turn it off even though I keep it in my pocket. I only carry it so I can call for help if I fall or something like that. I was in an automobile accident in September because I had an allergic reaction to my medicine & blacked out, I crocked into the northbound traffic traveled 480 feet ,ripped out 100 feet of guardrail & flipped over & went down a 20 foot embankment . PRAISE GOD I WAS UNHURT & THERE WAS NO ONE NORTHBOUND ON THE 4 LANE HIGHWAY I did not need my phone then either.

• December 24, 2018 at 10:25 am

Hi Guys, Any plans on building your own Murphy bed you talked about a short time back?
    Thanks,
    Commodore Collins
    Paragonah, UT

• December 23, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Wonderful recommendations.

• December 23, 2018 at 7:47 pm

My family knows I do not answer my phone/check messages or texts while driving.

I may answer my phone if I am in a ‘center aisle’ of a store, but never while interacting with any employee. This has always been my person rule. I’ve since taken a job in retail, and it irks me to no end when ppl approach my counter and expect me to wait on them while they are on their phones. If I don’t have a long line of customers, I will often ignore them until they put the phone down. It’s called common courtesy, which along with common sense, are sorely lacking anymore.

Merry Christmas!

• December 23, 2018 at 4:19 pm

For people who may insist on having their cell phones active while in their vehicles for business reasons or other “important” reasons that they can rationalize, here’s how to do it safely: First of all, make sure that your vehicle is equipped with Blue Tooth and that your phone automatically connects when you start the vehicle. Secondly, make sure that you understand how to answer an incoming call and make an outgoing call without taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel. Third, if you insist on texting while driving and prefer not to die while doing so, make sure your phone will read incoming texts to you and you can respond via voice to text! All of this happens in my truck with a 5 year old phone so yours will probably do the same!

As far as getting a good nights sleep, use the sleep function on your phone and set the hours of quiet for 7-8 hours starting when you usually retire for the evening and get up in the morning. As suggested you may set overrides for family members, your boss, etc. depending on your priorities.

These suggestions may require that you learn a little more about your phone than you know today but knowing how and when to use the functions provided with your phone may save your life and at the least, improve your quality of life.

• December 23, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Absolutely right on!!! We already do the meal one most of the time but need to work on the other two. Thanks for the timely reminder!

• December 23, 2018 at 2:42 pm

My beautiful, skipped-grades-in-school brilliant niece (my sister’s ONLY child) was killed when she was 17, by a cell phone distracted driver who should have KNOWN better : he was a fireman/EMT. He survived, she suffered irreconcilable traumatic brain injuries, and ruined my sister’s life.

Needless to say, I do not suffer the fools in the road. I get license plate numbers and report them, prefaced with this story, which does get LEO’s attention.

It’s NOT worth it, folks!

• December 23, 2018 at 11:12 am

It’s creeping . . . I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. It’s been that way here for at least a decade, probably more. What happened to you describes every time I leave the house. If I go out to eat, same thing, everyone is on their phones young and old. My dining companions and I are typically the only ones NOT on their phones. It’s one thing to share some vacation photos before the meal arrives, but once food arrives, away it goes. I have a friend who can be “on call” and they have their phone on vibrate, if they receive a call, they excuse themselves, get up and go outside to handle the business and then return, phone off. To me, what you describe is just plain old common sense, which seems to have gone out the window. Everyone feels entitled. Well I feel entitled to enjoy a meal out without having to listen to half a dozen people yapping on their phones. It’s unconscionable to me that people can be so rude, but they are. And there is nothing to stop them. Thanks for posting this, maybe those of us that do care, can get the tide to change. I know I have politely stopped people in their tracks. Thanks again!

• December 23, 2018 at 8:31 am

My husband and I were out to eat a good while back. There was a couple sitting close by and they both had their phones out. Not one time did we see them even say a word to each other. It was not teenagers either.

Then just last week we saw a family come in and put a baby in a high chair and set an iPad or something in from to the baby to occupy him. Which it did!! We live in a crazy technological world and it is not always for the good.

People can’t even talk without saying like, like, you know, you know. CRAZY!!!!!