We have NEVER been more excited about an article than today’s post of a secret heirloom tomato plant that will truly change the art of growing tomatoes forever!

It is a secret we have been entrusted to keep under wraps for nearly two full years now. And I have to say, it hasn’t been easy.

But today is the day to finally tell it all, along with the story of the man behind it.

the secret heirloom tomato plant
Of all of the incredible heirloom varieties around, this one is hands down the winner.

For folks who love to grow tomatoes, it will be hard to believe. But then again, there is little doubt for us that this tomato will rock the entire tomato industry.

Introducing The Most Incredible Secret Heirloom Tomato Plant Ever! The Lipra Yadsloof Heirloom Tomato

Yes indeed, although the name may sound a bit strange, the Lipra Yadsloof heirloom tomato plant is nothing short of astounding.

The sheer volume of tomatoes picked from a single plant will blow your mind. And that is just the beginning!

The Lipra Yadsloof heirloom tomato, named as you will soon see in honor of it’s founder, produces beautifully round, large, baseball-sized heirloom fruit in staggering numbers.

the Lipra tomato plant
The meaty, thick, flavorful interior of the Lipra Yadsloof tomato

In fact, without spilling the beans too early in the story, (or should I say tomatoes), a single plant last year in a very remote hidden trial produced 9 bushels of tomatoes. In a single month!

And it kept on producing. By the time it finally succumbed to a very hard frost, it had produced 25 bushels of gorgeous, flavor-filled heirloom tomatoes! That is not a misprint – 25 bushels!

But there is more…

But there is so much more with the Lipra than a record-breaking harvest.

It’s meaty, sugary-sweet bright-red flesh oozes with unrivaled flavor. One taste and you simply will never want another tomato.

heirloom tomato varieties
A small harvest from one/tenth of the plant!

And, it’s naturally resistant to blossom end rot, blight, and a host of other diseases. Diseases that can easily cripple most tomato plants.

As if that wasn’t enough, this unbelievable secret heirloom tomato plant is also nearly drought proof. It’s long vines and deep root structure can store enough water and nutrients to keep it thriving for weeks without water!

The Story Of Lipra Yadsloof And His Amazing Tomato

So how did this all come about?

And how were we lucky enough to be the ones to tell the Lipra tomato story?

To be honest, it is something we still wonder for ourselves. As the old saying goes, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

The Story…

In the summer of 2017, we received a bit of a strange email from a gentleman just south of Lexington, Kentucky.

growing tomatoes in Lexington, Kentucky
It all started with an email from Lexington, Kentucky.

His name, Lipra Yadsloof, was nearly as odd as the story he wrote to us that day about his secret heirloom tomato plant.

Now, you have to understand we receive quite a few emails every day from fellow gardeners. Usually, folks write to ask for gardening advice. Or, perhaps share with us a story about a recipe or a project.

But Lipra’s email was not one of our typical emails.

A Story Almost Too Good To Be True…

He started the email stating he had followed our blog since late 2012. And that he liked and appreciated our down-home approach to simple living.

But he went on to tell us his purpose in writing was to share a secret. Or moreover, a secret project he had been working on at his homestead for nearly 25 years.

the secret heirloom tomato plant
As it turns out, Lipra loves heirloom tomatoes!

Lipra was absolutely obsessed with creating new tomato varieties by cross-pollinating old-time heirloom tomato plants. In the previous two and a half decades, he had developed over 100 new varieties. Some good, some okay, and some that were complete disasters.

Never quite satisfied with the results, he kept up at his passion every year. Until something magical happened in 2016.

“That is when I hit the tomato jackpot” he wrote, “and created a vining heirloom tomato plant that grew nearly 35 feet long. Much to my surprise, it produced between 10 and 20 bushels of harvest for each of the 3 seeds I planted and grew!”

Proof Of The Perfect Tomato…

At that point, we really thought it had to be a joke. Until we looked at the photos he sent along with his email. They were all stunning. The plants. The harvest. The sheer growth of the vines.

growing tomatoes
Yes – those are baseball sized tomatoes on long vines! At first to us, it almost looked like cherry tomatoes.

He ended his email with a simple and generous invitation:

“I would like to invite you and your wife down to my homestead here in Lexington. I want you to see the plants growing for yourselves.”

And then came the kicker.

“I want to give you a few seeds to try in your garden for me next year to see if we can replicate the results. All I ask is that you keep it a secret between us fellow gardeners until we know for sure it can replicate.”

I have to admit, Mary and I were skeptical. But at the same time, if it was true, and the photos were real, then it really was the most incredible secret heirloom tomato plant ever!

The Road Trip To Lexington

And so it was in the summer of 2017, we took a road trip to see Lipra and his incredible tomato plant.

Lipra's house and garden
The front entrance to Lipra’s white clapboard house.

As we pulled into Lipra’s meticulous homestead, one thing was very apparent. Lipra loves to garden!

The driveway was lined with flowerbeds on either side. And just to the left of an impeccably painted white clapboard house, a large expansive garden could be seen just in front of a gorgeous barn.

And then Lipra appeared. Like out of a scene from an old Southern movie, he opened the front door and strode out in a light tan suit.

It was almost as if Colonel Sanders traded in his trademark white suit for a tan one.

The beautiful gardens of Lipra
The garden areas were simply stunning.

“Jim? Mary? So very glad to meet the two of you!” he said in a deep, bellowing voice.

And then, just like that, even though we were out in the middle of nowhere – he lowered his voice to a whisper.

“Now, I have followed you two for years, and I really feel like I can trust the both of you. Am I right?”

A Visit To The Garden

We both looked at each other in complete bewilderment and nodded yes. Not really knowing what to think. Maybe even more, wondering what we had just gotten ourselves into.

“I figured I could” he said, and with that we headed toward the back corner of the garden.

Secret Garden Gate
As pretty as the garden gate was, behind it was something even more special!

As we walked through the rows of vegetables, it donned on both of us that it was set up entirely with Raised Rows, almost identical to our garden at home.

He saw us smiling and spoke up, “I started using your garden system in 2013, and I absolutely love it. I have always grown nearly all of my food, and it is amazing how it keeps the weeds completely out.”

As he finished talking, we we stopped in front of a huge 10 foot tall fence, secured with a large padlock on the gate.

preparing garden beds for planting
Even Lipra liked to garden with raised rows!

He pulled a big silver key out of his pocket and opened the lock. And as the gate swung open, the sight of the three plants growing behind it dropped our jaws to the dirt!

The Big Reveal

There, right in front of us, were 3 massive vines trained up and down a huge trellis. Every single inch of the vines were filled with deep, dark red tomatoes.

So many we couldn’t even begin to count. He snapped off two tomatoes, handed one to each of us, and said try them.

At this point, we were just stunned, and so we bit into them like an apple. To say it was delicious would be the understatement of the year. There were simply divine.

secret heirloom tomato plant
The tomato harvest was amazing

I looked at Lipra, and all I could muster up was “What are these? What do you call them?” He laughed and said he hadn’t come up with a name yet.

I looked at Mary, then back at him, and said, “well, to me – they are going to be called the Lipra Yadsloof Jackpot Heirloom Tomato.” And that was that – they had a name!

We took those seeds with us all the way to Tennessee last year to grow. Since we were away from the farm for the year, We rented a little space in the country, and as promised, never told a soul.

And they didn’t disappoint. In fact, they grew to nearly 40 feet in length. And we stopped counting at 19 bushels from a single plant.

Lipra tomato seed
The incredible Lipra Yadsloof seeds

At this point, we have probably taken up enough of your time reading all about this incredible secret heirloom tomato plant.

So, we will cut to the chase and the BIG question?

What happens now? Is Lipra going to sell the seeds? Well, you are probably going to be shocked by the answer below.

The Final Chapter of The Lipra Yadsloof Tomato.

Here is where the story takes the craziest turn yet. Lipra is not going to sell the seeds. Not ever. Why, you might ask?

Well, you see, today is March 31st. And tomorrow is April 1st. And if you spell Lipra’s full name (Lipra Yadsloof) backwards – it spells April Fools Day!

As in, none of the preceding story was true at all. Not one bit. Just our sad attempt at an April Fools joke a day early for all of our followers!

Happy April Fools Day!

Sadly, there is no Lipra – and no incredible tomato plant. But hey, hopefully we put a little smile on your face and you had a little fun with today’s article.

We promise to go back to our regular very truthful gardening stories from here on out.

Happy April Fool’s Day Everyone! (one day early) – From Old World Garden Farms

Happy Gardening – Jim And Mary

You can reach us via email for comments, questions and suggestions at : thefarm@owgarden.com

As always, feel free to email us at thefarm@owgarden.com with comments or questions. To receive our 3 Home, Garden, Recipe and Simple Life articles each week, sign up below for our free email list. This article may contain affiliate links.

The Secret Heirloom Tomato Plant That Will Change Gardening Forever!

45 thoughts on “The Secret Heirloom Tomato Plant That Will Change Gardening Forever!

• April 1, 2019 at 2:18 pm

That was the best April Fool’s prank. I was on the edge of my seat as I read this article; hoping there was a link at the end to purchase the seeds. Well you got me….well done! 😝

• April 1, 2019 at 7:55 am

YOU RASCALS. THAT WAS A GOOD ONE. I KNEW IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

• April 1, 2019 at 7:54 am

Very good … I only wish it were true. Hard, these days, to come up with a good one and you sure did. Thank you for all the real advice you have developed and for this “fooled-ya.” Here’s to a good growing season this year even if we don’t get 25 bushels off one plant. LOL Looks like we might be in for a dry-ish summer in Area 6.

• March 31, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Guess that tells you what the market for seeds like these would really go for!

• March 31, 2019 at 5:32 pm

LOL – We try to always be in a good mood, it just makes the days go better! πŸ™‚ As for your question, have you ever tired the Betalux tomato (https://www.rareseeds.com/betalux-tomato/ )from Baker Creek Seeds? It is a really good early-maturing tomato. Hope you have a great Sunday! Jim

• March 31, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Glad you enjoyed it MaryJane! The tomatoes on the vine are actually cherry tomatoes that we blew up the picture to make them appear bigger πŸ™‚

• March 31, 2019 at 5:21 pm

You got me! I love it!

• March 31, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Smart boy! I pride myself on catching things in grammar, spelling, etc but I missed that one. Am I smarter than a 10 yr old? Apparently not! (BTW, I am 76)

• March 31, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Ha! Got me! Made my day even more when I shared the story with my hubby, the Texas Tomato King!

• March 31, 2019 at 4:18 pm

You got me good! But may I ask what kind of tomatoes are pictured?

• March 31, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Hilarious! I was taken in also and so ready to buy them. Your story was so amazing and true sounding. Thanks for the laugh. You got me!!! I love your tips and story and read every one. I always tell my husband β€œWell OldWorld Garden says….” Thanks for all your information and great tips.

• March 31, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Well done!

• March 31, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Since your ina good mood how bout an heirloom tomato for the SF Bay Area .im 25 miles east of SF 80 degree weather for 3-4 months sometimes hotter but cool nights .

• March 31, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Just read the article to my family over lunch. Thanks for the laugh! My 10 year old son was in their spelling it all out to see if it really spelled ‘april foolsday’….he kept saying….it doesn’t spell April, it doesn’t spell April….just then I came upon the comment above about it purposefully being spelled wrongπŸ˜‚

• March 31, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Patricia – So sorry we somehow upset you by the article. It was 100 percent completely in fun and we certainly did not mean to upset anyone with it. I guess I honestly never thought or imagined tomato seeds could make someone upset. We are who we are, and we love what we get to do, and have always have fun with it. And that is all that this was – just a little fun for April Fool’s Day. My Dad always made it fun for us kids growing up with a joke or two on that day, and honestly, I was thinking about that the other day and thought I would do the article for a smile as well. Sometimes the world takes itself too seriously, and it’s okay to laugh a little. At least that is how we feel. If that keeps you from following our little garden site, I apologize. Here is to hoping you have a great rest of the day, and again, sorry for upsetting you. Jim.

• March 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm

I read every word of your article, not wanting to miss a single word. Waiting for the end so I could see where I could send for these seeds. YOU GOT ME! LOL Made my day.

• March 31, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Ah, good joke! I almost didn’t finish the story because I wanted to google this wonderful new tomato plant to see where I could get the seeds. I also noticed your spelling was a bit off. Thanks for the laugh!

• March 31, 2019 at 1:22 pm

WOW – you got me hook, line and sinker!!! Job well-done πŸ™‚

• March 31, 2019 at 1:19 pm

NOT FUNNY. I JUST MAY STOP FOLLOWING YOU BECAUSE OF THIS!!!

• March 31, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Hahaha! You got me! I was reading it to my husband and he was figuring out how many gallons of tomatoes it was producing. I was in awe and ready to order some seeds. Good one!!!

• March 31, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Good one you two. I didn’t see that one coming!

• March 31, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Good one! I’m a fool…

• March 31, 2019 at 12:20 pm

You are a stinker! I thought to myself this will make the propagater a millionaire before day is done. Thanks for the laugh. We owe you one.

• March 31, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Well, dang! I was excitedly telling my husband about it before I got to the end. You got me!

• March 31, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Damn you. I am avid gardener and have so for almost fifty years. I plant about three dozen heirloom tomato varieties each year and was all set to order some regardless of the price. I have been dealing with blight for decades so the thought of blight resistant tomatoes had me hooked. I too read this to my wife and when I saw those vines with all those tomatoes I thought I had died and gone into paradise. And then, you ruined my day.

• March 31, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Oh….. you had me good! Still laughing. Thank you!

• March 31, 2019 at 12:00 pm

I was “In like Flint”! I was actually thinking how a regular gardener would cope with a plant like that? Shows you how gullible I am. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for raising my blood pressure and for my first 2019 April Fool’s joke! By the way, we had about 2 inches of snow last night, (no joke).

Kathryn

• March 31, 2019 at 11:50 am

Oh my Gosh!!!
    As I was reading this my SC. gardener mind was racing ahead to who I was going to give my two flats of tomatoe seedlings to as Of Course I was only going to need 3 of Lipra’s!!!!
    Very, very funny! You got me good ! So glad I read the whole article and didn’t give ALL-my tomato plants away! Haha

• March 31, 2019 at 11:16 am

I, like the others, was Fooled! Nothing like a good laugh.
    The pictures, cherry tomatoes right, certainly fooled me but his name kind of got me wondering…….. is this real!?
    Good one!
    And Happy Arpil to one and all!

• March 31, 2019 at 11:14 am

Good Morning,
    Happy Sunday to you! I really enjoyed your article about the “Secret Tomatoes”. You had me going and getting excited about a new tomato.
    A good gotcha for all gardeners. I’m going to share this with my garden club. I’m President of the Methow Valley Garden Club in North Central Washington. The club was established in 1937, it faded a few times, but some of us ladies revived it again in 2013. We’re small, 7 members, but we have fun. We do community projects and share info with each other. Each month we have a program given by a guest speaker. In June we will be hosting the District Meeting, there are only 5 clubs left, out of 12, in the area. We call the meeting, Border to Basin, because the clubs are from near the Canadian border to the Columbian Basin.
    I throughly enjoy your website, I found it on Pinterest.
    Happy Gardening to you!
    Judy Caputo

• March 31, 2019 at 10:48 am

I was reading it outloud to my wife with excitement and enthusiasm! I was all in! Midway through the article, she interrupted “what day is today?” “March 31st”, I said. She smiled and left the room. I didn’t I understand why she wasn’t as excited as I am, until I got to the end of the article. What a gullible man I am! Thank you for the laugh & embarrassment! LOL

• March 31, 2019 at 10:42 am

loved the story and like other people I was ready to order some seeds, great reading and wonderful story,,,happy april fools day

• March 31, 2019 at 10:25 am

Such a good one
    I wanted seeds now.
    Thanks for the laugh
    Now get busy and create this plant for us. πŸ˜‰

• March 31, 2019 at 10:14 am

Thank You for a really funny tall tale that lends itself to every gardener’s deepest desires-
    The most perfect tomato ever created!
    You should be writing catalogue copy for all of the “wonderful” plants we have been suckered into buying.
    It’s pouring here so a good laugh is welcome.

• March 31, 2019 at 10:00 am

Oh my gosh, I love ed that story. I was in hook line and sinker. Thanks for the laugh.

• March 31, 2019 at 9:49 am

hahahahahahahahaha what a great way to start off a Sunday morning
    smiles all around
    Have a wonderful day and Happy April tomorrow

• March 31, 2019 at 9:25 am

You had me going there for a few minutes! Love the clapboard house with it’s picket fence and locked gate! Happy gardening!

• March 31, 2019 at 9:23 am

Funny!! Where can I get them?? How long to ripen!! I was all in!! Lol!!

• March 31, 2019 at 9:19 am

Sheryl – YOU FOUND IT! That was actually our second part of the April fools joke – to see if anyone would figure out it spelled Arpil and not April. For being the first to find it – we are going to send you a signed copy of each of our books! Just shoot us an email to thefarm@owgarden.com with your address and we will send them along. CONGRATS! Jim and Mary

• March 31, 2019 at 9:11 am

You fooled me alright. Whatever tomato plant was in the picture was stunning–unless that was trick photography! Happy April Fools Day to both of you, too!

• March 31, 2019 at 9:09 am

‘actually’. My computer adds extra letters! πŸ™‚

• March 31, 2019 at 9:08 am

It would have been an even better story if Lipra backwards actuallly spelled April instead of Arpil!

• March 31, 2019 at 9:08 am

That is the best April Fool ever. How cruel!! I was ready to go to the web site and place an order.
    Next year I will not be fooled by you.

• March 31, 2019 at 9:03 am

So much fun…thank you for the chuckle!
    When you do develop those tomatoes
    let me know.