When I was looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that required just a few ingredients, this Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Potato Casserole came to mind.
Like many of you, sometimes you just need a dinner idea that the entire family will love. But also, a recipe that doesn’t take a lot of ingredients or to be honest, a lot of effort.
And that is what makes this recipe so special. All of the ingredients are commonly found in your pantry and refrigerator. Plus it only takes a few minutes to prepare.
How to Make Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Potato Casserole
The first step in making this recipe is to peel your potatoes. We use Russet potatoes for this recipe because they hold up well during the cooking process.
Now slice the potatoes into thin, uniform slices. Using a mandoline slicer will make easy work of this step! Just be sure to use the finger guard that comes with it! I can tell you by personal experience that the blades are very sharp!
Next, brown your ground beef and onions in a large skillet. When the meat is no longer pink, drain the mixture in a colander.
Layer the Ingredients
Then place one half of the meat mixture into the slow cooker which has been coated with non-stick spray.
On top of the meat, layer on one half of the sliced potatoes.
Now, in a mixing bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, milk and seasonings. You can use either store bought soup, or you can make your own Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Next pour one half of the milk mixture over top of the potatoes. Then sprinkle half the cheese on top.
Repeat the layers of meat, potatoes, milk, and cheese. Then close the lid and cook on HIGH pressure for 3-4 hours, or LOW pressure for 7-8.
We cook our Ground Beef and Potato Casserole in our Programmable Crock Pot brand slow cooker. The great thing about this specific machine is that you can program how long that you want the recipe to cook.
And after the time is up, it will automatically turn to a KEEP WARM setting. Therefore, there is no overcooking your meal!
Before you Serve Your Casserole
About 15 minutes before you are ready to eat, turn off the slow cooker and let your ground beef and potato casserole sit with the lid off.
This extra time away from the heat will help to thicken the casserole.
When you are ready to serve, place the casserole on a plate and garnish with sliced green onions.
And when you take your first bite, you are going to be shocked at how such a simple recipe can taste so delicious!
Mary and Jim
As always, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with comments, questions, or to simply say hello! To receive our 3 Home, Garden, Recipe and Simple Life articles each week, sign up for our free email list that is located in the middle of this article. This article may contain affiliate links.
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup, or 1 1/2 cups of homemade cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, we used cheddar but any kind would be great too
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown your ground beef and onions. drain and place 1/2 of the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 of the sliced potatoes on top of the beef mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper(s) to taste. Mix well and add 1/2 of the mixture to the slow cooker on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese on top.
- Repeat the layers of ground beef, potatoes, sauce and cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Before serving, turn off the crock pot and let sit for 15 minutes to allow the casserole to thicken before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g