Classic Artisan bread may be the easiest bread recipe you will ever make!
It takes little time to prepare and there is no kneading required. Simply mix together 5 basic ingredients and in less than 10 minutes, you are on your way to creating fresh bread that not only tastes amazing, but has ZERO preservatives!
If you have never heard of artisan bread, let me take a minute to explain. It is not your typical sandwich bread.
If you are looking for bread recipes that are great for sandwiches check out our these recipes:
Although there is no specific definition, this type of bread is considered short life bread. That is because it is made without commercial preservatives.
Therefore, the intent is that after the bread is baked it will be eaten within a couple of days.
Most often you will find the bread unpackaged and likely in baskets at your local bakery or grocery store.
However, because it is so easy to make, now you can make it in your own kitchen. And as a bonus, your house will smell amazing!
Classic Artisan Bread
*Complete recipe instructions including specific measurements, cook temperatures and times are located in a printable recipe card at the bottom of this article. However, be sure to keep reading for helpful tips and tricks when making this recipe.
- All-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Granular yeast
- Black pepper
Starting making your artisan bread by adding the flour, yeast, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until everything is incorporated.
Then slowly add the warm water to the mixture and mix the ingredients together. It is very helpful here to use a digital thermometer to test the temperature of your water.
If the water is too warm, it will kill the yeast and your artisan bread won’t rise. And if the water is too cold, the yeast won’t activate.
The ideal temperature of the water is between 100-110°F.
No Kneading Required
Just mix the water into the flour until it has been evenly absorbed. Do not over mix the dough. You want the dough to come together, but it does not need to be silky or smooth.
Now remove the dough from the bowl. Clean out the bowl add a little extra virgin olive oil to the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Then add the dough back to the bowl and flip it over so that oil coats the entire ball. This prevents the artisan bread from sticking to the sides as it rises.
Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in a warm area to rise until double in size. This will take 1-2 hours.
Form the dough in a large ball and place it on a flour dusted baking sheet or stone. Lightly dust the outer edge of the dough with a light coat of flour.
Cover with a clean towel and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
When you are ready to bake the bread preheat the oven and place a baking dish filled with water on the lower rack.
This will add moisture during the baking process and will allow the bread to bake more evenly.
Right before placing the bread in the oven take a sharp knife and make a few slits in the top of the loaf.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when knocked on. Store covered at room temperature.
Mary and Jim
As always, feel free to email us at email@example.com with comments, questions, or to simply say hello! You can sign up for our free email list in the subscribe now box in the middle of this article. Follow us on Facebook here : OWG Facebook. This article may contain affiliate links.
- 3 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water (100-110°F)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons granular yeast
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, add flour, yeast, salt, pepper and mix.
- Slowly pour in the warm water and mix ingredients. Don’t feel the need to work your dough at all – just mix for few minutes and you are done!
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm area to rise until double in size. This will take 1-2 hours.
- Form the dough in a large ball and place on a flour dusted baking sheet or stone. Lightly dust the outer edge with a light coat of flour to prevent sticking.
- Cover the dough with a clean towel and let rest for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place a baking dish filled with water on the lower rack. Right before placing the bread in the oven take a sharp knife and make a few slits in the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when knocked on.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 loaf
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1509Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2858mgCarbohydrates: 314gFiber: 14gSugar: 1gProtein: 46g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.