Top 10 Canning Recipes On The Blog : As we do every year about this time – we look back over the last year and find our top 10 most viewed recipes of the year and share them with our readers!
Canning is one of the best ways to preserve the taste of the summer garden for the year round – not to mention keeping all of those preservatives from the canned and packaged goods in the grocery store aisles.
For those who haven’t attempted canning yet – it is much easier than you think – and so worth the effort! However, all of the recipes below can be frozen for storage instead if you still want to preserve.
As always – it is so important to always check with your local extension office and follow the USDA recommended processing times for your area and altitude.
For us – it is time to get back in the kitchen and get this year’s harvest preserved! Happy Canning!
If you would like to receive our Sunday Updates each week – be sure to sign up to follow the blog via email in the right hand column, “like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.
Most Popular and Requested Canning Recipes:
1. Strawberry Honey Jam – uses 4 natural ingredients. This by far has been our most popular canning post over the last 2 years. With the massive amounts of sugar added to traditional jams, this is a great alternative to those who prefer more natural ingredients.
2. Sweet Pickle Relish – a standard condiment that can be used for so much more than just a topping on a hot dog or hamburger. Use in potato salad, deviled eggs, or whatever dish you like that needs that extra sweet tang.
3. Cowboy Candy – Candied Jalapenos – what a sweet treat, and what a terrific way to use all those jalapenos that come on at the end of the summer. This by far is my favorite addition to almost any sandwich!
4. Garlic Dill Pickle Recipe – who doesn’t love the crunch of a dill pickle! Use all those cucumbers to create your own version of the dill pickle. With a few hints, you can make your own crunchy dill pickles to enjoy throughout the year!
5. Crockpot Apple Butter – No Sugar Added! – If you have every been to Amish country, the chances are that you have had a piece of fresh bread with a layer of apple butter. Now you can make your own – without all the added white, refined sugar. Plus, your house will smell wonderful at the day’s end!
6. How to Make and Can the Perfect Applesauce – I think this one is so popular because almost every kid in America loves applesauce. And what better feeling is there than knowing what is exactly it is made of. Fresh apples are typically easy to find, and using ‘seconds’ is an economical way to preserve that fresh flavor.
7. Pasta Sauce (aka Spaghetti Sauce) – one of the staples in our canning pantry. We make about 30 quarts of pasta sauce each summer to help with those last minute, or late night dinners after a long work day or a quick meal after attending a ball game. We always make a few extra to give away to family and friends, as it is a huge hit!
8. Picante Salsa – this recipe is our scaled down version to allow for a smaller quantity, but can easily be made in larger batches. You can also check out our larger quantity recipe in this article: Picante Salsa – larger batches.
9. Summertime Salsa Recipe – This recipe is similar to the picante recipe, however, like traditional salsa, it contains larger diced tomatoes, onions, and peppers as compared to picante salsa. We sometimes combine this salsa with our canned picante sauce to make everyone in the house happy (can you really do that?).
10. V-8 Tomato Juice Recipe – A step up from the traditional tomato juice recipe – see how to make your own Tomato Juice here. We prefer the spicer version of the “V-8” tomato juice as a daily drink to get a jump start in the morning, or for a refreshing drink after a long afternoon at the farm.