Everyone loves our homemade granola bars, but I try to use what’s in season at the farm to add variety and spontaneity to our recipes. Blueberries have begun to bloom and we are awaiting our first batch to pick.
You can’t go wrong with a Blueberry Muffin recipe – even the little ones love them. However, we have made them quite a bit healthier by using whole wheat flour, applesauce in place of vegetable oil, and honey instead of white sugar.
We make them from scratch which takes only 10 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake. Yes, it is a little longer than the open the bag and add milk/water variety, but don’t worry – the kids don’t know that they are ‘healthy’ and they think the muffins are ‘the best ever’.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffin Recipes
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
1 cup blueberries
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Line muffin cups with paper lines or grease muffin pan well.
3. Beat egg – then stir in milk and applesauce.
4. Mix in remaining ingredients except for the blueberries. Don’t over mix – batter should be lumpy.
5. Fold blueberries into the batter.
6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. **I use a large self-releasing large scoop to easily add the batter to each cup eliminating any mess.
7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Mary and Jim
**If you would like to receive our Recipe Of The Week each Friday – be sure to sign up to follow the blog via email in the right had column, “like” us on the Facebook, or follow us on Twitter
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- 1 cup blueberries
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line muffin cups with paper lines or grease muffin pan well.
- Beat egg - then stir in milk and applesauce.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except for the blueberries. Don't over mix - batter should be lumpy.
- Fold blueberries into the batter.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. **I use a large self-releasing large scoop to easily add the batter to each cup eliminating any mess.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g