Raised Row Gardening has certainly come a long way! What started as a simple method for us to try to garden smarter, and not harder – raised row gardening has taken on a life of its own.

raised row gardening
Raised row gardening is a great way to grow nearly anything

The advantages of this simple garden method sometimes seem too good to be true. A raised row garden is not only easy to create, but requires little equipment or cash. There is no need for a rototiller, or back-breaking hours spent digging, hoeing and raking. And with the growing row set-up and heavy mulching, weeding and maintenance is a breeze.

In fact, even in a larger-style garden plot like our 60 x 40 raised row set up, it can be maintained in about 5 to 10 minutes each day.

As for the production – it is truly amazing! Our little plot has easily produced 70 to 80% of our family’s food for the last 6 years.  And maybe best of all, the raised row gardening method can work well in a drought or heavy rain season – much better than other traditional gardening methods.   See : Raised Row Garden Basics

So with all of those advantages – I guess it’s easy to see why the Raised Row Method is about to get a little more famous.

raised row garden method
It was growing nearly all of our family’s food that helped us save to build the farm

It is with tremendous (okay, massive 🙂 ) excitement that we are honored to announce we have signed a Raised Row Gardening book deal with Page Street Publishing, a division of McMillan Publishing! The book will focus on the entire sustainable cycle of the Raised Row Garden process – from creating, planting and maintaining – to everything in between. The book is set to publish in early 2018, and we couldn’t be more excited!  Update – As of February 20th, 2018 – the book is out! You can order here : Raised Row Gardening – The Complete Book!

This summer, with the help of a photographer and illustrator, we will document the entire cycle of the raised row gardening process – from start to finish. That includes all of the new tricks, tips and strategies that now make it even more efficient since that very first raised row garden back in 2011.

raised row gardening
one of our first raised row gardens. It produced more than we thought possible!

It will be so exciting to be able to put the entire gardening method into one big resource! We hope that more than anything else, it can become a wealth of information for those looking for a simple, less stressful, and organic way to grow their food. In other words, become exactly what it has been to us!

There is no more of a more simple, happy and fulfilling life than getting to follow your passion! We love to write, talk and live gardening, cooking, and DIY. We always cherish the opportunity when asked to speak on those subjects – and look forward to meeting so many wonderful people who share our passions. At the end of today’s article, we have listed our upcoming peaking engagements, including one right around the corner on March 4th, at the Muskingum Valley Garden Society’s Spring Fever Home Garden Symposium. If you live nearby or happen to be in the area, we would love for you to come out and join us! Be sure to check them all out below.

While we are at it -we just want to say “Thank You” to all of our readers and followers for giving us the opportunity to do what we love! – Jim and Mary

Upcoming Speaking Engagements

Muskingum Valley Garden Society’s “Spring Fever” Home Gardening Symposium
March 4th, 2017
Ohio University, Zanesville Campus in the Campus Center
1425 Newark Rd, Zanesville, OH 43701

The event features nationally known speakers and educators on such topics as container gardening, vegetable gardening, organic gardening, lawn care, tree care, water gardening and much more. A continental breakfast and full buffet lunch are included. Seating is limited so pre-register today. Pre-registration is $25.00 per person. Registration at the door is $30.00.

Registration details

Pickerington Public Library – Sharing The Story Of Old World Garden Farms
Monday, April 10 at 7 PM – 8 PM
Pickerington Public Library
201 Opportunity Way, Pickerington, Ohio 43147

Register at http://pickeringtonlibrary.org/event/old-world-garden-farms/

John Glenn Library – Sustainable Living, A Simple Life at Old World Garden Farms
May 10th, 2017 6:00 pm
Muskingum Library – New Concord Branch
77 West Main St
New Concord, Oh 43762

11 thoughts on “Raised Row Gardening Grows – The Simple Growing Method Takes Center Stage!

• February 21, 2017 at 7:48 am

I’m looking forward to the book!

• February 19, 2017 at 2:39 pm

SO HAPPY FOR Y’ALL! Where do I sign up for a book? I plan to use your method when we find our homestead. Congrats!

• February 19, 2017 at 11:49 am

Kudos and conrats!!!!!! How exciting. I am just getting ready to start cleaning our gardens out. I am intrigued…….. Looking for more info on your site now about how to get started with the raised rows.

• February 19, 2017 at 11:30 am

I have read your posts on gardening for a long time and I get so much great tips and advise on sustainable living. I would love to try the raised row gardening. We have a lot of leaf mulch from the oak birch and willow trees. However, we live in a flood plain and do flood once, if not twice a year. I am wondering if you could offer any advise or alternative methods for weed control, or suggestions on how to incorporate raised bed gardening in a flood plain. Right now, our current method is tilling and spending two to three hours a day weeding. It’s getting to the point where purchasing from the
    Farmers Market is looking better and better, but I just can’t give up my fresh tomatoes and peppers!! Thanks for all you do!! Scott and Becki

• February 19, 2017 at 4:07 pm

When I started my raised bed I used 2x12x12’s for the frame. My soil was so lousy that I filled the frame with a garden mix from a local nursery. There was the original cost but the veggies I’ve gotten over the years have saved me big bucks. I now throw all my ground up oak leaves and home made compost right into the box. You didn’t say how high the flood water gets but even when I get several inches of rain, my boxes drain pretty quick and in the spring I start my garden earlier than my neighbors because my soil warms up faster. As for weeds, I mulch my beds.

• February 19, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Go easy on the oak leaves….they are very acidic and may change the soil pH which may be tough for veggies. I know my garden did poorly for years when I mulched with them (we live next door to “Great Oaks” Condos…dominant trees in the area) and I had scrawny plants to prove it. Raised beds, wild critters, and limited sun didn’t improve things much. However,my blueberries, laurels and 1000 Azeleas (not a typo) love the acidic soil. My friend across town generously shares his garden space with me, and we only use maple leaves in the fall and grass clippings in season with the raised row method I learned here. It’s like plants on steroids- incredible yields! Thanks Jim and Mary for your wonderful advice and recipes in all your posts, and congratulations on your latest endeavors!

• February 22, 2017 at 11:01 am

We get close to 2′ of water when we flood. I’m not a fan of raised beds, but raised rows sound like something we may try. Thank you for your advise!!

• March 4, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I live in a flood plain in the desert. After fighting the waters washing away my raised row gardens 3-4 times a years I was fed up with the wasted work and money spent on trying to get a harvest. I built raised beds …smartest thing I ever did. I now have abundant food to can, eat fresh, and give to friends and family. I’m only sorry it took me 3 years to stop fighting nature and build the beds.

• February 19, 2017 at 10:21 am

I am planning my spring garden. I have used straw for mulch in the past but alas it had seeds in it and I found myself weeding wheat shoots. There are certified seed free bales although they are seriously expensive for use as garden mulch. What do you do?

• February 19, 2017 at 9:10 am

That is truly awesome! Wow, it’s amazing where life takes you isn’t it? I love all of your info and am in the process as we speak of making my raised rows for planting soon. Laying down my straw and have my garden soil in the pickup to place on top. Thank you for sharing your tips and experiences with us all. Best of luck to you!

• February 19, 2017 at 8:50 am

Congratulations to your book deal! Can’t wait until it will be published – it will be a welcomed addition to my little garden book library! Through your blog, you have taught a former city girl how to plant and grow a vegetable garden – and I Thank You for this. Every week I look forward to your emails!