Broccoli cheese soup is one of the most popular soups sold in restaurants. In fact, even fast food restaurants have gotten on the craze of serving this delicious, creamy dish.
Although we love to eat soups and salads for lunch, the restaurant varieties are often laden with sodium and some with unnecessary preservatives.
We make all of our own soups from scratch so that we know exactly what ingredients are going into them.
We love to make soups from our garden fresh vegetables in the summer and fall. See: The Best Soup Recipe. Each time we try to make a big enough batch so that we some left over to freeze.
In the middle of the cold winter we just pull a ‘brick’ of soup out of the freezer, heat it up, and the summer goodness is back on the table.
However, Broccoli Cheese soup is one of the soups that we love to make in the winter months. We either use frozen broccoli from our summer time harvest, or use fresh broccoli from the store.
The key to the absolute best broccoli cheese soup is to use freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Not the type that you find in the packaged aisle at the grocery store.
Those pre-shredded cheeses contain anti-caking and anti-mold preservatives that makes melting the cheese more difficult. Not to mention, they are unnecessary additives that are in the food.
Grating both the carrots and cheeses are easy to do. Just slide them across your grater and you have fresh and healthier options.
For small grating jobs, we love to use our Mandolin slicer that comes with a grating shield. Just pop in the blade and in seconds you have shredded carrots and cheese!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced red onion
3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/4 pounds of raw broccoli, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 cup shredded carrots
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup freshly shredded white cheddar cheese
2. Once the oil is heated, add diced onion and allow to cook 4-5 minutes until translucent
3. Turn burner to medium-low, whisk in the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add broccoli pieces, shredded carrots, broth, milk, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir, bring to a boil and reduced to a simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Using a hand immersion blender, blend until smooth. *You could also fill a blender 1/2 full and blend in batches – do NOT overfill.
6. Stir in heavy cream and cheese until warm and melted.
Mary and Jim
To receive our 3 Home, Garden, Recipe and Simple Life articles each week, sign up below for our free email list. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram. This article may contain affiliate links.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 pounds of raw broccoli cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded white cheddar cheese
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add diced onion and allow to cook 4-5 minutes until translucent
- Turn burner to medium-low, whisk in the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broccoli pieces, shredded carrots, broth, milk, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir, bring to a boil and reduced to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand immersion blender, blend until smooth. *You could also fill a blender 1/2 full and blend in batches - do NOT overfill.
- Stir in heavy cream and cheese until warm and melted.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms