This low-carb, breakfast scramble recipe has become one of our favorite things to make for breakfast.
It is so easy to prepare and you can customize it with whatever ingredients that you and your family prefer.
How to make Low-Carb, Breakfast Scramble
We start with a meat base of sausage. However, you can could substitute the sausage with bacon, ham or even chicken if you prefer.
Next, to the skillet that still has some remaining grease in the pan, add in the onion, diced red or green bell peppers and chopped cauliflower.
Cook until the onions become soft and translucent. This usually takes 4-5 minutes. Then add a little water to the skillet, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Covering the pan will help the cauliflower pieces to soften adequately. This is an important step when making this low-carb breakfast scramble that shouldn’t be skipped.
In the mean time, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and set aside.
Once the cauliflower has become fork tender, add in the garlic and green onion.
Once you can smell the garlic, add the sausage back to the pan. Then pour the eggs over top of the mixture. Continue to flip and stir until the eggs are just cooked through.
Finally, turn off the heat and sprinkle the cheese on top of the breakfast scramble. Cover and let sit until the cheese is melted.
Delicious Substitutions Recommended
Now that you know how we like to make a delicious and fulfilling breakfast scramble that is low-carb, it is time to make it your own.
First, if you are a vegetarian, simply skip the meat all together. Just be sure to add in a little extra virgin olive oil to the pan before you saute your vegetables.
Don’t like onion? It’s okay, skip it. There are some other vegetables that work really well in this recipe. You can substitute or add in mushrooms, chopped broccoli, spinach or even arugula to give it additional flavor.
However, if you want to keep this a low-carb breakfast scramble, you want to avoid adding the traditional breakfast potatoes that are served at most restaurants.
The options are endless with this recipe!
For additional breakfast recipes check out our Breakfast Recipe Pages
Mary and Jim
As always, feel free to email us at email@example.com with comments, questions, or to simply say hello! You can sign up for our free email list in the subscribe now box in the middle of this article. Follow us on Facebook here : OWG Facebook. This article may contain affiliate links.
- 1/2 pound of sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese, Mozarella or Sharp Cheddar
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned. Turn off heat and using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage crumbles to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep 1-2 tablespoons of grease in the skillet.
- Turn skillet back to medium heat and add onion, bell pepper, and cauliflower. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften and turn golden.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture and cover. Cook for approximately another 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and the water has evaporated.
- Remove the lid, and stir in the garlic and green onions. Cook for about 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant
- Add the sausage crumbles back into the skillet.
- Whisk the eggs and pour over top of the mixture. Cook, flipping often until the eggs are scrambled and just cooked through. Sprinkle cheese over the entire skillet. Turn off the heat but keep the pan on the burner.
- Replace the lid until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g