We have received so many compliments on our Classic Stuffed Peppers recipe that we decided to share our favorite Healthy Stuffed Peppers recipe as well.
Many of us are trying to eat healthier by eating less red meat or less carbohydrates. And this is the perfect recipe that allows you to enjoy the flavors of traditional stuffed peppers, but in a healthier way.
First, this recipe contains no rice. Therefore, it would be considered a low-carb, Keto-friendly recipe.
Second, we use ground turkey instead of beef in this recipe. However, you could also use ground chicken or even our homemade ground chicken sausage in this recipe as well.
And all that is left to do is add in the vegetables and seasonings and bake!
How to Make Healthy Stuffed Peppers
The first step in making these Healthy Stuffed Peppers is to brown the ground turkey (or chicken). Because poultry has a lower fat content than beef, you will need to add a little olive oil to the skillet so that it doesn’t stick.
Once the turkey is cooked about 75% through, add in the diced onion and diced green pepper.
Continue to saute until the meat is no longer pink. Then add in the garlic and green onions and cook until the garlic is fragrant.
Then add in the drained tomatoes. But be sure to reserve the liquid because you will need it later.
Mix in the seasonings and your healthy stuffed pepper filling is ready!
The Trick to Filling the Peppers
However, before you fill your peppers, there are a couple tricks that a friend taught me many years ago.
If the peppers are a little wobbly, slice a thin layer off the bottom of the peppers. But make sure it is a thin layer so that you don’t make a hole in the bottom.
Add a thin layer of shredded cheese in the bottom of each pepper. During the cooking process, the cheese will melt and provided an additional layer of protection so that the filling doesn’t fall out.
Then scoop the filling into your prepared bell peppers.
Next, add the reserved tomato juice to the bottom of your 8 x 8 casserole dish and place your peppers in the pan.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown.
Serve your healthy stuffed peppers immediately or let the peppers cool and refrigerate or freeze for a quick and healthy meal in a pinch!
Mary and Jim
As always, feel free to email us at email@example.com with comments, questions, or to simply say hello! You can sign up for our free email list in the subscribe now box in the middle of this article. Follow us on Facebook here : OWG Facebook. This article may contain affiliate links.
Healthy Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Green peppers stuffed with a mixture of flavored ground turkey and vegetables and cooked to perfection for a delicious, low-carb, healthy meal.
- 4 green peppers, cleaned with seeds and tops removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced green onion
- 2 tablespoons finely diced green peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 can, 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and juices reserved
- 1/4 cup tomato juice from the above can of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and brown the ground turkey.
- Once the turkey is 75% cooked through, add in the onion and diced green pepper and saute until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the garlic and green onion and saute for one additional minute.
- In the pan, add the diced tomatoes, parsley, Italian seasoning, and Kosher salt and stir.
- Continue to cook another five minutes.
- In the bottom of each pepper, add in a little Monterey Jack cheese.
- Then stuff turkey mixture inside hollow green peppers.
- Pour reserved tomato liquid in an 8 x 8 baking dish and place peppers inside dish.
- Mound each pepper with the remaining cheese.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g