Whenever I see Cauliflower Crust Pizza in the grocery store or in a restaurant, I always wonder if it is truly low-carb or gluten free.
Many times there are additives that increase the carbohydrate levels. Also, there are various flour alternatives that are used to help bind the crust together.
However, when you make your own Cauliflower Crust, you know exactly what ingredients you are using.
How To Make The BEST Cauliflower Crust
So how do you make the best and healthiest cauliflower crust?
It all starts with a small head of cauliflower, cut in florets. Then place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it becomes a small grain like consistency.
You will want the cauliflower a little finer than cauliflower rice used in our Low-Carb Breakfast Scramble recipe.
Then either steam the cauliflower or heat it in the microwave. It is necessary to cook the cauliflower grains so that you can release the liquid before making it into a crust.
Using a tea towel, place the cooked cauliflower in the center of the towel. Then as soon as it is safe to handle, squeeze out all of liquid. Keep squeezing until there is no more dripping.
Next, place the cauliflower in a bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients.
Once everything is incorporated, pat and form the crust together onto parchment paper.
But unlike most pizza crusts, you don’t want to add the sauce and toppings at this point.
Bake The Crust Prior To Adding The Toppings
Instead, you will semi-bake the crust before adding any toppings.
Bake the Cauliflower Crust for approximately 8-11 minutes so that it becomes golden brown and firm.
Remove the crust from the oven and now you can add whatever toppings that you prefer.
Then place the crust back in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to become golden.
And there you have it! The BEST Cauliflower Crust around!
Mary and Jim
As always, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with comments, questions, or to simply say hello! You can sign up for our free email list in the subscribe now box in the middle of this article. Follow us on Facebook here : OWG Facebook. This article may contain affiliate links.
The Best Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- 1 small head Cauliflower
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Dried Basil
- ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional – to taste)
- 1 Egg
- Place a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.
- Wash and throughly dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets. Place in your food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds, until you get to a grain like consistency. This will typically yield approximately 2 to 3 cups of ground cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Cook for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool until able to be touched.
- Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and wring it out to release the liquid. You will be surprised how much liquid is released. Continue to wring out until not more water drips out of the towel.
- Dumped squeezed cauliflower into a bowl and add parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, kosher salt, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, and a dash of red pepper if desired.
- Add egg and mix until well incorporated.
- Once mixed well, use your hands to form the dough into a flattened ball on your oiled parchment paper.
- Pat the dough down throughly with your hands until you form a pizza crust – not too thin or thick.
- Using a cutting board as a guide, slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 8-11 minutes, until the crust starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Add sauce, cheese, and any toppings you want. Slide parchment with topped pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Allow it to cool for 3 minutes. Using a pizza cutter cut into triangles.
- Serve Immediately!
Recipe courtesy of Old World Garden Farms